Hixson is a small town on the
Cincinnati Southern Railway, originally named Lookout for the reason that it was
at this point that the civil engineer corps in surveying the line of the railway
first caught a glimpse of Lookout Mountain. This was in 1878. The name was
changed to Hixson in January, 1884. The first store was started here, March 1,
1881, by E. F. and E. Hixson, and the second during the same year by H. and G.
W. Hixson. A blacksmith shop was also started here that year by Ephraim Rogers.
The Methodist Episcopal Church South, -which is one mile and a half distant, was
started in 1866 and -now has about sixty members. The post office here is named
Lakeside and was established March 24, 1880, with Ephraim F. Hixson,
Goodspeed's "History of Tennessee" 1887