Newell Sanders was born in Owen County, Ind., July 12, 1850. He was the son of John and Miriam (Coffey) Sanders. Sanders was reared on a farm; graduated from Indiana University with A.B. degree in 1873. Sanders married Corinne Dodds in 1873. Sanders became a merchant in Bloomington, Ind. from 1873-1877. Sanders came to Chattanooga and began the manufacture of plows at Chattanooga. In 1878 Newell Sanders was president and general manager on the Chattanooga Plow Co. From 1882-1901, Snaders was a large stockholder in the company. 1901 Sanders established Newell Sanders Plow Co., of which he is proprietor; manufactures principally for export trade. Sanders was Director of Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis Railway Co. President of National Association of Agricultural Implement & Vehicle Mfrs .and from 1907-1908 was a member of Board of Managers American Society of Mechanical Engineers. From 1902-1905 Sanders was Republican; delegate to Republican National State Executive Committee of Tennessee. Sanders was member of Baptist Church; home address, Chattanooga, Tenn.
Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911
It is estimated that Harmon Schrudder and his family emigrated from the Netherlands in about 1856. At this time we don’t know how he spelled his last name or which province in Holland that he came from. The children that are known to have traveled with Harmon are: Samuel Harmon, Anna, and Isaac (known as Mike). It is assumed that his wife, Katherine Vandiver, traveled with the family also.
Unfortunately, it is not known through which port the family entered North America. They may have come through a port in the northeast because a male child was born in New Jersey, in about 1857. The first public record that we find Harmon - is when he and his family were enumerated in the 1860 United States Census for Augusta, Georgia. City directories and tax records seem to indicate that the family only stayed in Augusta for about one year.
There are no records to tell us what the family did during the Civil War years. After the war, land records place the growing family in Whitfield County, Georgia in December 1867.
Harmon is next found farming in Sequatchie County, Tennessee in 1873. He moved his family to Walden’s Ridge, Hamilton County, Tennessee in about 1882. He was a simple farmer.
Harmon Schrudder died on Good Friday, 15 April 1892, and was buried in Fairmount Cemetery, Walden’s Ridge, Tennessee. His wife Katherine Vandiver Schrudder died 31 October 1912 and according to her obituary, was also buried in Fairmount Cemetery (no headstone can be found).
His family included:
Samuel Harmon Schrudder and Mary Station Hume
Anna (or Enna) Schrudder
Mike (Isaac) Scrudder and Susan Isabelle Gadd
(Unknown ) Schrudder
Rena Schrudder McDonald and Jeremiah McDonald
Esther (Archie) Schrudder Pickett and John Lewis Pickett
Caroline Scrudder Jones and Carin John Jones
Henry A. Scrudder and Annie Louise Pope
John C. Scrudder and Josephine Vandergriff
Joseph Scrudder and 1. Lucy Mullins (2. Gussie Mullins)
Submitted by Mary Scrudder email@example.com
Seymour, Walter B.
Walter B. Seymour & Co., proprietors of the plaining-mill and lumber yards, Chattanooga, established their business in September, 1883. The company is individually composed of Walter B. Seymour and Henry T. Olmstead, who have their mills and yards located between Burton and East Streets and East Tennessee, Virginia & Georgia Railroad tracks. They employ seventy to eighty men, and handle on an average 4,000,000 feet of lumber annually. Walter B. Seymour was born in Connecticut in November, 1858, and came to Chattanooga in 1882. He traveled for the Southern Lumber Company, of Chattanooga, for one year, and then established the present business in which they are succeeding unusually well. Mr. Seymour is a Republican in politics, a member of the Masonic fraternity, and is an active business man
.Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
Sharp, Alonzo G.
Hon. Alonzo G. Sharp, present mayor of Chattanooga, is a native of Fulton County, N. Y., his birth occurring January 2, 1841, son of John and Victoria Sharp, who were natives of Manchester, England. The parents immigrated to America in 1831 and until 1847 resided at Fulton County, N. Y., engaged in farming; then moved to Franklin County, Ohio, where the father died, leaving a widow, three sons and eight daughters to mourn their loss. About this time, and while yet a mere boy, the subject of this sketch started out into the world to act and do for himself. He succeeded in securing a good practical education by much perseverance and industry, and at the time of the breaking out of hostilities between the North and South was acting in the capacity of bookkeeper in the commission house of J. R. Paul & Co., of Columbus, Ohio. In April, 1861, immediately after the assault upon Fort Sumter, he enlisted as a private in Company C, Second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was a participant in the first battle of Bull Run. When his term of enlistment had expired, he organized a new company for the service of which he was elected captain. This was Company B, Forty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. The regiment was ordered to Paducah, Ky., under command of Gen. W. T. Sherman, and from there up the Tennessee River to Shiloh, Corinth, Memphis and on into Mississippi. Before starting on the campaign against Vicksburg, Capt. Sharp was compelled to resign from the service on account of ill health, and he returned to Ohio to recuperate. November 17, 1864, he united in marriage with Miss Jennie Cushman, of Columbus, Ohio, and shortly after this event located in Chattanooga, Tenn., where he has since mostly resided, closely identified with the city's business interests and prosperity. His career as a civil officer began in 1867 when he was elected city treasurer, and from that time until the present he has been almost continuously in public life. In 1867-68 he was city treasurer, and in 1869 was mayor of the city, also serving as director in the Tennessee penitentiary at the same time. In 1870 he served about six months as clerk and master of Hamilton County Chancery Court under appointment of Chancellor D. C. Trewhitt. The fall of 1870 be was elected city recorder, and after serving two elective terms, was elected city attorney, serving one year. At the close of his second term of recorder he formed a legal partnership with Judge D. C. Trewhitt and practiced law until 1873, when he was appointed by President Grant internal revenue collector for the Third Tennessee District, in which position he served until they were consolidated. In March 1877, he was appointed an inspector in the post office department by Postmaster-General D. M. Key, and in charge of a force resided with his family at San Francisco four years. He then returned to Chattanooga, but removed to Washington, D. C., to fill the appointment of chief inspector of the United States. He resigned this position in September 1885, and again returning to his old home in Chattanooga was, the month following, elected mayor of the city to serve two years. Mr. Sharp is one of the Republican leaders of Tennessee.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
Azariah Shelton, the present efficient trustee of Hamilton County, is descended from one of the old pioneer families of the State. He is a native of the county in which he now resides, and was born on the 24th of January, 1850. His early education was quite limited, the ordinary three months' country schooling being all the advantages accorded him, but with the energy and perseverance characteristic of the subject of this sketch, managed to acquire more than an average education, which he has in later years steadily improved. When quite young he was apprenticed to a blacksmith, which trade he fully mastered, but this occupation was abandoned for that of the teacher's profession. He soon took the lead in his chosen profession, and in a creditably short time was elected to the office of county superintendent of public instruction on the first day of January, 1878, entered upon his second term in 1880, and in August, 1882, was elected trustee and tax collector for his native county, and is at present serving his third term. As a businessman Mr. Shelton has no superior, and enjoys an enviable reputation throughout the State, and the State accounting officers are loud in their praises of his method of conducting the business of his office and is exceedingly popular with all who enjoy an acquaintance with him. When but eighteen years old, August 27, 1868, he formed a happy union with Miss Hattie A. Carper, a native of Hamilton County, and by her is the father of one son and four daughters. He is a leading member of this county in the Masonic and Odd Fellow fraternities. Goodspeed's "History of Tennessee" 1887; Page 992
Shelton, C. C.
C. C. Shelton, manufacturer of flour and meal, and dealer in grain and feed, is a native of Jackson County, Ala., where he was reared and educated. He resided in that locality until 1871, when he came to Chattanooga and embarked in the grocery trade, at which he continued until 1876, when he built and began the operation of his present mills, situated at 136, 138 and 140 Market Street. He is doing a large business, manufacturing about 150 barrels of flour per day, and for this he finds a ready wholesale market in Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia principally. Mr. Shelton is a member of the board of trade of Chattanooga and is one of the city's most respected and enterprising citizens. In 1866 he united in marriage with Miss Mary J. Baker, a native of the same county as himself, and to their union two sons and one daughter (deceased) have been born: George M. and Clement Lee. The parents of the subject of this sketch, Shepherd and Rose (Chapman) Shelton, were natives of the Old Dominion; were reared in North Carolina, from where they removed to Middle Tennessee, thence to Jackson County, Ala., where they followed farming until their respective deaths in 1875 and 1885.
Goodspeed's "History of Tennessee" 1887; Page 992-3.
Shelton C. E.
C. E. Shelton, farmer of the Fifteenth District, is the youngest of five children born to C. E. and Sarah (Williams) Shelton. The father was born about 1788, probably in Virginia, and moved to Rhea County about 1820. He was an officer in the Creek Indian war, serving nearly two years. He was sheriff of Rhea County one term and also trustee for two terms. He served one term as county surveyor and was justice of the peace of his district for twelve years. He was one of Rhea County's most prominent citizens and was highly respected by all. He died in 1833. The mother was born in Virginia in 1790, and moved to Granger County, Tenn., where she married. She died in 1862. Our subject was born in Rhea County, Tenn., in 1822, and moved to Hamilton County in 1849, settling near where he now resides. He received his education in the subscription schools of Rhea and Hamilton Counties. He took charge of his mother's farm and supported her after he became twenty years of age. In December, 1846, he married Miss Nancy Walker, daughter of William and Rachel Walker, the first settlers of Bledsoe County, Tenn. Mrs. Shelton was born in 1829 in Bledsoe County, and to her and Mr. Shelton were born ten children: Matilda (deceased), Azariah (now trustee of Hamilton County for the second term), William, Martha (Mrs. Selcer), Mira (deceased), Sallie (Mrs. Fryar), Tennessee (deceased), Mary A., McKinney and Jane. Mr. and Mrs. Shelton and all their children but one, are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, of which Mr. Shelton has been elder for ten years. He was reared a Whig and is now a republican in politics. He is also a Master Mason. He was elected justice of the peace in 1853, served one term, and was elected again in 1877. He was deputy sheriff of Hamilton County two years. He has a fine farm of 240 acres in one tract, and 340 acres about two miles from where he resides, both well cultivated. Mr. Shelton's father- in-law, Mr. William Walker, was trustee of Bledsoe County for twelve years, was highly respected, and an influential citizen. His wife was of Dutch descent, as were also Mr. and Mrs. Shelton, Sr. Our subject has always been ready and willing to aid in the advancement of educational interests in his neighborhood, being one of the five who furnished the greatest bulk of funds required in building the academy near his residence. Goodspeed's "History of Tennessee" 1887; Page 991.
Sherwood, George M.
G. M. Sherwood was born July 14, 1839, in Now York, and is the eighth of nine children born to Amos and Mary (Campbell) Sherwood. They were of English and Scotch descent, respectively. The father was born in 1802 in Connecticut, and moved to the suburbs of Syracuse, N. Y., when a young man. He was quite a prominent man of the locality where he resided, taking part in all questions pertaining to the public interest. He died in the year 1858. The mother was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., in the year 1804, and was a member and an active worker in the Presbyterian Church. She died in the year 1867. Our subject received his education principally at Onondaga Academy; began business for himself at the age of eighteen, and in 1862 married Miss Fannie Butts, daughter of Nelson and Prudence Butts, who were old and prominent citizens of Onondaga County, N. Y. Mr. Sherwood had the misfortune to lose his wife in 1862, and in 1866 he married Miss Sarah M. Woodbury, a daughter of Francis and Maria P. Woodbury. To this union were born five children: Mary C., George W., Clara, Juliet and Edward Marshall. After marriage our subject engaged in the boot and shoe business in Jackson, Mich., where he moved in the year 1864, the style of the firm being Sherwood Bros. He sold his stock of boots and shoes, and came to Chattanooga in April, 1870, where he engaged in the same business for six years. He was elected city recorder, serving in that capacity for four years; he was out one year and then was re-elected and served one year. He was a member of the county court about seven years, after which he moved out to Mission Ridge, purchased 80 acres of land, and since then has engaged extensively in buying and selling real estate. Mr. Sherwood is a Republican in politics. His brother, Harvey C. Sherwood, has been a member of the State Senate of Michigan, and was a Democratic candidate of the Fourth District for Congress, but was defeated by a prominent Republican. Although the district was strongly Republican, he led his competitor a hot chase. Mr. and Mrs. Sherwood are members of the Second Presbyterian Church of Chattanooga, of which Mr. Sherwood is an elder.
Goodspeed's "History of Tennessee" 1887; Page 993
Shipp, Joseph F.
Joseph F. Shipp was born on February 3, 1845, in Jasper County, Tennessee. On April 12, 1861, he ran away from home and enlisted in the Confederate Army as a private. His father was able to find him and take him home, but Shipp was later allowed to rejoin the Army of Virginia. In the Battle of Melvern, he was severely wounded. For his numerous acts of gallantry and bravery in the face of danger, Shipp was promoted to the rank of captain, a title he held throughout the war. Later in his life he joined the United Confederates Veteran's Association and served as the organization's Quartermaster General until his death. At the end of the Civil War, he was discharged from the Army and returned to his home in Georgia. There he became involved in many successful business ventures. On August 12, 1866, Shipp married Lily Eckles, and they moved to Chattanooga where he became involved in the manufacturing business. By 1893 Shipp was known as one of the wealthiest citizens in Hamilton County. In the early 1890s, Shipp was appointed coal oil inspector by Tennessee's Governor Peter Turney. In 1900, he was elected as tax assessor, serving until 1904, when he was elected as sheriff of Hamilton County. Shipp also served as a member of the Board of Alderman and of the Board of Education, though he had little formal education. In addition, Shipp was active in the Board of Trade and the Chamber of Commerce. After serving two terms (1904 to 1908) as Hamilton County Sheriff, he was again appointed Coal Oil Inspector on April 18, 1923. After a brief illness, Shipp passed away on September 18, 1925, at his home on Lookout Place. He was laid to rest in his Confederate uniform. Joseph F. Shipp was born in Jasper County, Ga. , February 3, 1844 , and is a son of Gustavus V. and Caroline (George) Shipp, natives respectively of North Carolina and Georgia. Joseph F. was reared and educated in his native State, and in 1861 enlisted in the Confederate Army, serving with the Fourth Georgia Regiment two years. He then served in the transportation department until the close of hostilities, when he followed the mercantile business in Social Circle, Ga., until 1873, when he and Maj. Temple established the present business in Chattanooga. He has also been largely engaged in real estate transactions in Chattanooga. August 12, 1866 , he married Lillie E. Eckles of Walton County, Ga. , who bore him nine children-six sons and three daughters. He is a Democrat and has served on the board of mayor and aldermen. He was the Democratic candidate for mayor in 1883 and is a member of the city school board. He is also commander of N. B. Forrest's camp of Confederate Veterans. Singularly enough the firm of Temple & Shipp is composed of an ex-Federal soldier and an ex-Confederate soldier, each having faithfully served the cause he deemed right. They dwell in harmony together notwithstanding this fact and are reasonably prosperous.
Goodspeed's History of East Tennessee, 1888; Page 1001
Scholze, Robert founder of Scholze Tannery and Southern Saddlery
Robert Scholze was born in Germany where he learned leather tanning from his father. He came to the United States and finally settled in Chattanooga at what would become ST Elmo. Scholze founded his tannery in 1873. In 1895 his son George Ernest Scholze joined his father’s business. On April 9, 1907 Robert Scholze was killed near his home by a runaway horse leaving George to take charge of Scholze Tannery. Robert Scholze was buried in Forest Hills Cemetery. On May 30, 1930 the Tannery was completely destroyed by fire but, Scholze decided to rebuild. That same year he was joined by his son George E. Scholze Jr. Scholze Tannery was rebuilt, the country was still in the Great Depression yet, the tannery continued to thrive. In 1947 George Ernest Scholze died and his son George Jr. became president of the tannery. George Jr. ran his grandfather's company until 1956 then appointed James L. O’Kelly as Scholze Tannery’s new president. O’Kelly had worked in management for many years before becoming president. At the same time Charles F. Oliphant was named as vice president; he had also served many years before his appointment. Scholze Tannery burned in 1987 and never rebuilt.
Written and submitted by Jeffrey C Webb mysaintelmo.com
Sims, Philander D.
P. D. Sims, M. D., is a native of Jackson County, Tenn., and one of five children, three of whom are living, born to the marriage of Martin and Nancy (Smith) Sims. They were married in Jackson County, Tenn., and the father has followed agricultural pursuits all his life. He is still living and is eighty-seven years of age. The mother's parents came from Scotland and settled in North Carolina, but later moved to Tennessee. She died in 1851. Our subject was born October 22, 1828, was reared on a farm and educated in Alpine Institute, private school. After taking some private instruction in professional studies be graduated from the medical department of the University of Nashville in 1856. The same year he came to Chattanooga, where he has remained ever since, passing through the several epidemics. He is a member of the county and state medical societies and also of the American Medical Association. He was at one time mayor of Chattanooga. Six children, three of whom are living, were born to his union with Miss Mary Randall in 1857. She was a native of Middle Tennessee, a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and died in 1879. Dr. Sims is also a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, a Royal Arch Mason, and has practiced his profession for thirty-one years.
Goodspeed's "History of Tennessee" 1887; Page 994
Skillern, Frank W.
F. W. Skillern, M. D., is a native of Bledsoe County, born July 19, 1851, a graduate of Sequatchie College in 1868, and also a graduate of the medical department of Vanderbilt University in 1876. The following year he moved to Texas, where he remained until 1883, and then returned to Tennessee. In 1875 he married Miss. Alice Williams, a native of Tennessee, but reared in Texas. Two children were the result of this union: Mattie J. and Willie Maud. Mrs. Skillern is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. In 1886 Dr. Skillern located in Chattanooga. He is a Mason, Knight of Pythias, and for twelve years has been engaged in the practice of his profession. He is the son of William and Martha (Farrar) Skillern. The father was born in Bledsoe County, Tenn., and his ancestors came from the Emerald Isle. The mother was born in Bath County, Va. She descended from an old English family. After their marriage they settled in Rhea County, Tenn., where the father was quite an extensive stock trader. The mother died in 1865, after which the father married Miss Sarah Henninger; he is still living. To his first marriage were born four children - two sons and two daughters - and to his last union only one child was born.
Goodspeed's "History of Tennessee" 1887; Page 994.Note:
1880 US Census, Precinct 3, Denton Co., Texas Source: FHL Film 1255300 National Archives Film T9-1300 Page 115B
Alfred Hill or Hale Slover, son of Jacob Slover and Martha Moore, was born April 11, 1813 in Jefferson Co., TN near Dandridge. Alfred Slover died October 1896 in Crawford County, AR and is buried in the Dripping Springs Cemetery in Crawford County, AR. He married Cynthia Moore, daughter of Zachariah Chaney Moore and Martha Allen, March 23, 1815 in Jefferson Co., TN. Cynthia died May 3, 1875 in Chattanooga, TN. Cynthia Moore's father and Alfred Slover’s mother were brother and sister, making Cynthia and Alfred first cousins. After Cynthia's death, Alfred Slover married September 16, 1875, Mary J. Vandegriff, widow of William O. Ables. Mary Vandegriff was born 1830, Tennessee and died in Crawford County, Arkansas. She is buried in the Dripping Springs Cemetery, Crawford County, Arkansas. Alfred Slover and Cynthia Moore had eight children: 1. James Elmore Slover born 1836 TN, died 1921 AR, married in TN, Jane Scott, daughter of Robert B. Scott and Mary A. Roark; 2. Albert Moore Slover born 1838 TN, died 1912 OK, married in TN Nancy Branham, daughter of George Washington Branham; 3. Mary Ellen Slover born 1842 TN, died 1874, married in TN Robert Wesley McMurray; 4. Sarah Jane Slover born 1844 TN, died 1870 TN ; 5. Nancy Caroline Slover born 1846 TN, died 1856 TN ; 6. Robert Anderson Slover born 1849 TN, died 1926 OK, 1) married in MO Lucinda Tennessee McDonald, 2) married in AR Flora Ann Martha Slover, daughter of Sanders Slover and Nancy Catherine Whisenhunt ; 7. Harrison Slover born 1852 TN, died 1856 TN; 8. George Slover born 1856 TN, died 1874 TN. Alfred Slover and Mary J. Vandegriff had two children: 1. Thomas Jefferson Slover born 1876 TN, died 1964 OK, married 1902 AR, Elizabeth Eudora Thompson, daughter of Charles M. Thompson and Juda A. Scott; 2. Ida Alice Slover born 1878 TN, married Charles Cochrum .Mary J. Vandegriff had two children by her former marriage to William H. Ables: 1. Elizabeth Abells born about 1862 TN and 2. William Abell's born about 1866 TN. When Alfred Slover was a young man in Jefferson County, he worked in his father's store in Dandridge and hauled merchandise from New Orleans to Dandridge. He also taught school and was commissioner of Jefferson County School 38 for 1842 - 43. He was a member of the Dumplin Creek Baptist Church. The Slover family moved to Soddy in Hamilton County in the late 1840s where Alfred farmed in several districts in the Soddy and Sale Creek areas. Alfred and Cynthia Slover had two sons, James Elmore Slover and Albert Moore Slover, who were in the Confederate Army. During the Civil War, the Northern Army took corn, chickens, and cattle, leaving only a few cows. It took 10 years for the reimbursement to arrive. After the war Union sympathizers tried to run the family out of Hamilton County but did not succeed because Alfred threatened to arm his women as well as his sons.
Submitted by Catherine Jendeski with the cooperation of other Alfred Slover descendants.LBobina@aol.com
Smartt, James P.
J. P. Smartt, senior member of the firm of Smartt Bros. & Co., wholesale boot and shoe dealers, was born in Warren County, Tenn., in 1844. His parents, George M. and Anna (Waterhouse) Smartt were natives of Tennessee. The father was a farmer, and a man who took an active interest in the welfare of his community. In 1857 he was sent by the people of his county to represent them in the General Assembly. In 1871 the mother died, but the father is still living. To them were born nine children, four sons and five daughters. After the death of his wife the father was again married, with the result of three children. Our subject was reared on the farm, and educated at McMinnville College, and also at Hannah Highland College. In 1862 he volunteered in Company C, Sixteenth Tennessee Infantry, Confederate Army, and during three years of service never missed a day. At the cessation of hostilities, he returned and taught at Hannah Highland College, where he had received the principal part of his education. In 1868 he went to Nashville, where he was engaged respectively in the wholesale drug, boot and shoe and hat business. In 1875 he came to Chattanooga and has since been a prominent factor in the business progress of the city. In 1879 Rowena Kennedy, of Chattanooga, became his wife, and the fruits of this union were three children -two sons and one daughter. Mr. Smartt is director, and formerly vice-president of the Third National Bank; is director of Mountain City First Marine City Insurance Company; is director and vice-president of the Chattanooga Investment Company; has been president of the board of trade; is director in the Chattanooga Springs Company, and is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, having been an elder in the same since 1866.
Goodspeed's "History of Tennessee" 1887; Page 995.
Smith, John W.
Capt. John W. Smith, an enterprising planter of James County, and resident of the Fourth Civil District, is a native of Tennessee, and was born in Hamilton County near Harrison, June 2, 1834. He is the son of Rev. Noah R. and Fidily (Umbargo) Smith. The father was of English, and the mother of Dutch descent. The father was a native of Virginia, born in that State about 1810, and died in McDonald County, Mo., in February 1876. The mother was one year older than the father, but the land of her nativity is not known. She died in Bradley County, in August, 1865. The parents were married in Warren County, Tenn., in the latter part of 1832. Soon after their marriage they settled in Hamilton County, where they lived about four years, then removed to Cannon County, and remained one year; then came to Bradley County, and his home was in this county at the time of his death, in Missouri. He was a popular minister of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Our subject is the eldest of five children. He secured a good academical education in his youth in Bradley County, and, having selected farming for an occupation at an early age, he began the cultivation of the soil. In August, 1861, he purchased eighty acres of land near where he now lives. In 1865 he made a purchase of eighty acres more and built the improvement he now occupies. In 1871 he made another purchase of 240 acres. Our subject has been a live, active man. He began life rather poor, but by industry, economy and close application to business, he has secured a fair competency. In the spring of 1862, he entered the Federal Army and served thirteen months as a private. In July, 1863, he received a commission as captain of Company G, Fourth Tennessee Cavalry. He served with credit until May, 1864, at which time, on account of ill health, he was compelled to return home. He took part in numerous battles, and skirmishes. After the close of hostilities between the States, he resumed the peaceful occupation of the farm. Immediately after the war he served as a civil officer seven years - five as constable, and two years as deputy sheriff in what was then Hamilton County. On August 2, 1852, he married Miss Martha C. Bower, a native of Hamilton County, born in January, 1834. This union has resulted in the birth of nine children-six sons and three daughters- three of whom are dead-one son and two daughters. Our subject is a decided Republican and was an old-line Whig before the war. He is a worthy and consistent member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church; has been an elder in this church four years. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church (northern branch).
“Goodspeed’s History of East Tennessee,” James County , 1887.
Springfield, Hiram J.
Hon. H. J. Springfield, farmer, was born September 15, 1841, in Murray County, Ga., and is the youngest of six children born to Solomon Langston and Catherine (Bradley) Springfield, both natives of Greenville County, S. C. The father was born August 15, 1807 and was of English descent. He was a soldier in the Indian war and assisted in their removal from Georgia. He died March 23, 1842. He was one of the best schoolteachers of his day and excelled in penmanship. He had the reputation of being the most courageous and muscular man of the State. The mother was born September 15, 1809, and is still living, making her home with her son. Our subject received his education in the common schools of Georgia and in St. Clair County, Ala. He has also a good business education. He lived eighteen years in St. Clair County, Ala., and then moved to Chattanooga, after which he went to Chickamauga station and then to Tyner, where he engaged in merchandising eight years, the style of the firm being H. J. Springfield & Bro. He was elected sheriff of Hamilton County in 1878, after which his brother took entire control of the business, and in 1880 they sold the entire stock. Our subject was twice elected to the office of sheriff by the people, and, in 1882, after being out of office thirty days, was elected by the county court to fill a vacancy caused by murder. While sheriff he was one of the bravest and most courageous officers ever in Hamilton County. He filled the unexpired term of the sheriff who was murdered by the Taylor brothers, desperadoes, and played a very important part in apprehension and execution of Andy Taylor. He captured John Taylor in the northeastern part of Tennessee and lodged him in the jail at Chattanooga. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention in Alabama, in 1867, which effected the reconstruction of and restoration to the Union of Alabama, Georgia and Florida. He was appointed by the State superintendent of registration as a member and chairman of the board of registration in his district. He also represented his district in the State Legislature of Alabama in 1868-69; was appointed United States marshal by Gen. Grant in 1870, but declined the appointment because of his having previously decided to move to Tennessee. December 24, 1861, he married Miss Mary C. Masteller, of St. Clair, Ala., who died in 1864. They had one child, James Henry (deceased). He married his second wife, Miss Joicey L. Simpson, in 1866, and she died the same year. In 1869 he married Miss Mary E. Franklin, of St. Clair County, Ala., and five children have blessed this last union: Willard J., Charles, Almera, Walter M. and Edgar C. Mr. and Mrs. Springfield are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a Master Mason. He enlisted in the spring of 1863 in the Federal Army and served as captain. He has been a life-long Republican, casting his first presidential vote for Gen. Grant.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
Steele, Dr. N. C.
N. C. Steele, M. D., is a successful physician of Chattanooga, and the fourth child of a family of seven children born to J. N. and Mary A. Steele, natives respectively of South Carolina and Alabama. At the age of seven his father left his native State and came to Alabama, where at the age of twenty-nine he married Miss Steele, a native of that State, though not a relative. Three of their four boys are ministers of the gospel. Our subject was born September 20, 1849, near Athens, Limestone Co., Ala., and at the age of five was taken to Mississippi. Living near Corinth, that State, one of the great military stations of the war, and in the vicinity of the famous battles of Corinth and Shiloh, his father's fortune was almost totally swept away. This and the impaired condition of his health seriously interfered with his studies, but at the age of twenty-one he began the study of medicine under Dr. J. M. Taylor, of Corinth, one of the most prominent physicians of Mississippi. After studying there a year he took one course of lectures in the medical department of the University of Louisville, Ky., and a second course in the medical department of the University of Nashville, from which latter institution he graduated with honor, in February, 1873, having taken the prize for the best thesis on “The Action of Quinine,” and divided the prize for standing the best examination on the principles and practice of surgery, After practicing in Mississippi for thirteen years he went to Europe in 1886, to make a special study of the diseases of the eye, ear and nose, to which he had for several years been devoting much attention. In that year he was a highly endorsed and strong applicant for the chair of eye and ear in the medical department of the University of Nashville and Vanderbilt University, made vacant by the death of Prof. V. S. Lindsley. On returning from Europe, wishing a large city in which to practice his specialties, he removed to Chattanooga in the latter part of 1886. In 1875 Miss Frances E. Jones, of Mississippi, became his wife. To them have been born three children, two of whom are living: Mary T. and Willard H. Both he and wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, he is being a ruling elder in that church. The Doctor is an honorary member of the Mississippi State Medical Society, a member of the Tri-State Medical Association of Mississippi, Arkansas and Tennessee, and of the Chattanooga Medical Society. In 1884 he graduated from the Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle. He is a Mason, a good citizen, a total abstainer from all intoxicating liquors, and a Prohibitionist.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
Stewart, Theodore F.
Theodore F. Stewart, of Chattanooga, was born in Atkins County, Ohio, March 12, 1846, and is the son of Hiram Stewart, of that State. Our subject was reared under the parental roof and educated in his native State. In 1861 he enlisted in the Thirty-ninth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, United States Army, and gave four years' service to his country's cause. In March 1866, he came to Chattanooga, and accepted a position as teller in the First National Bank, where he continued eighteen years. Failing health obliged him to abandon this sedentary employment, and he then engaged in the insurance business until 1887. Mr. Stewart has been prominently identified with various manufactories in Chattanooga, and was secretary and treasurer of Lookout ice factory, also a director in the wood and dish factory. He was connected with the cotton-mills, and with Mr. Blair operated a roller corn meal mill (roller process) one year, during 1886. He is at present director in the First National Bank. In January, 1887, be engaged in the real estate business, to which he is now giving most of his attention. November 1, 1870, be married Miss Celia M. Shaffer, of Delaware, Ohio, who bore him one child, Bessie M. Mr. Stewart is a Republican in politics, a member of the G. A. R., and the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Goodspeed's "History of Tennessee" 1887
Stivers, Arthur G.
Arthur G. Stivers, of the firm of Loomis, Hart & Co., was born in Meigs County, Ohio, September 23, 1855, and is the son of Washington and Caroline (Fisher) Stivers, natives respectively of New York and Ohio. Our subject was reared to manhood in his native county and received his education in the schools of his native State. He came South in 1878, and located at Chattanooga, where he has been connected with the firm of Loomis, Hart & Co. ever since. He has charge of the office at 115 and 117 West Eighth Street, also has charge of the sash, door and blind departments at the above numbers. May 8, 1883, he was united in marriage to Miss Fannie Pickens, of Racine, Ohio, who bore him one son. Mr. Stivers is a Republican in politics, a Knight Templar, and a Mason, being High Priest of Hamilton Chapter of this city. The firm of Loomis, Hart & Co. is individually composed of J. F. Loomis, John A. Hart, James T. Arnold, F. L. Winchester, A. J. Gohagan and A. G. Stivers. The business was established in 1866 by J. F. Loomis and F. J. Bennett who conducted the sawmill and lumber business at the foot of Pine and Cedar Streets until 1875. John A. Hart succeeded Mr. Bennett. The firm of Loomis & Hart inaugurated the manufacture of furniture, which they continued until 1884, when the present company became proprietors. The mill and works cover sixteen acres of ground on the bank of the Tennessee River, and at the foot of Pine and Cedar Streets. In 1887 they erected a large, three-story frame warehouse at the corner of Pine and Water Streets. The dimensions of this building are 60x180 feet. The up-town office and large sash, door and blind warehouse is situated at 115 and 117 West Eighth Street. They employ on an average 150 men, and the business will approximate $200,000 per year. They saw and handle about 12,000,000 feet of lumber per year.
Goodspeed's "History of Tennessee" 1887.