Nelson, Daniel E.
Daniel E. Nelson, M. D., is the son or E. E. and L. E. (Fultz) Nelson, natives of Tennessee and North Carolina respectively. Soon after marriage, they moved to Rutherford County, where the father followed agricultural pursuits. The mother died in December, 1864, and the father four months later. Of their family of nine children, five are now living. Our subject was born April 5, 1859, in Rutherford County, Tenn. The close of the war found this family of children without parents and almost without means or subsistence. Our subject worked at all kinds of farm work, and supported himself even in childhood. Having learned the rudiments or education, he, by his own efforts, acquired a good education and taught a three months' school, studying medicine in the meantime. In 1879 he entered Vanderbilt University, and after one term, practiced his profession in Warren County for one year in order to enable him to obtain means to return and finish his medical course, which he did, graduating in 1882. At the completion of his course, he entered a competitive examination for a position in the city hospital of Nashville, and was successful in obtaining it. After serving about eleven months he was chosen physician in charge of the small-pox hospital, and after the close of this institution in 1883, he came to Chattanooga, recommended by the authorities of the hospital. In 1886 he was one of six to apply for the position of coroner of Hamilton County, and succeeded in obtaining that position. Dr. Nelson is secretary of Hamilton County Medical Society, also a member of the State Medical Society, secretary and treasurer of the Christian Church, and medical examiner for the Manhattan Life Insurance Company.
"Goodspeed's History of East Tennessee," 1887
Nicklin, John Bailey
No history of Chattanooga, for the past forty-four years, would be complete if it did not make some record of J. B. Nicklin, who, for that length of time, has been a factor in everything that was for the upbuilding of the city.Mr. Nicklin was born in 1845. He was descended from that sturdy German stock that has ever been characterized by honesty of purpose and devotion to our country's best interests. He was a Philadelphia schoolboy. His ancestry, having served in the Continental army and ever being ready to take up arms for our country's cause, made him only the more anxious to follow their example, and in 1861 he volunteered in the Federal army, when only sixteen years of age. For four years he served as a Federal soldier, and was mustered out in 1865. His regiment was the One Hundredth Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteers. He came to Chattanooga, in 1866, and went into the drug business, which has ever since been his occupation.For fourteen years, he was a member of the Chattanooga Board of Education; two years of that time he was president of the board. His broad fraternal nature caused him, when only twenty-two years of age, to seek admission into the Ancient and Honorable Fraternity of Free and Accepted Masons; receiving all the degrees from Entered Apprentice to the Holy Royal Arch in 1867, and the Orders of the Commandery in 1872. In all those bodies he filled the various offices, and in 1885, was elected right eminent grand commander of the Grand Commandery of Tennessee. He received the Scottish Rite degrees up to and including the thirty-second in 1892, and in October, 1903, he was crowned an inspector-general, honorary, of the thirty-third and last degree. He has an unbroken record of forty-three years as secretary of Hamilton Chapter No. 49, R. A. M., and for eighteen years has been the recorder of Lookout Commandery No. 14, Knights Templar. During all these years his attendance has been regular, and his devotion to the order supreme.September 6th, 1871, he married Miss Lizzie Kaylor, of this city, and to that union four sons were born, viz.: V. P., S. S., D. P., and J. B., Jr. All these have grown to manhood and form a group of brothers seldom equaled. In yellow fever time, in 1878, Mr. Nicklin remained at his post, kept his drug store open, and was in close touch with the relief committee, whose members had a warm feeling for their associate in those trying times.In 1871 he was elected mayor of the city of Chattanooga, and served for two years in a manner to reflect much credit on himself and honor on the city. Had he asked for re-election it is doubtful if any man could have defeated him.It has been truly said that the brave soldier never fights after his enemies lay down their arms, such was the case with J. B. Nicklin. As soon as the South laid down her arms, he was ready not only to treat them as honest citizens and brothers of this great republic, but was ready to cast his lot with the South and help rebuild her shattered homes. From that day to this, no one has ever heard him utter one word of censure for any man who espoused the cause of the Southern Confederacy. Nor has he any patience with the man who would, in the slightest degree, perpetuate the feeling that existed between the North and South during those unfortunate times. This same broad, liberal spirit has characterized his business and social life, and on this basis more than any other rests his universal popularity.He has always been interested in athletics, and gave his moral and financial support to all matters for the innocent entertainment or sport of young men. He is an ardent admirer of the great American game of baseball, and was for years president of the Southern League of Baseball Clubs. Even to this day, he will attend a game at any time his business demands will permit.In politics, he has always been Democratic, but of him it might well be said:"'We join ourselves to no party that does not carry the flag, and keep step to the music of the Union. "You will travel far before you will find a better friend, a better neighbor, a better citizen, than John Bailey Nicklin
Standard History of Chattanooga, Tennessee, Chas. D. McGuffey, 1911
Allen Parker, a farmer of the Fourth District, was born December 14, 1820, in Rhea County, Tenn., and is the eldest of a family of ten children born to Elisha and Martha (James) Parker. The father was of English descent and came to Hamilton County in 1821. His second wife was a Mrs. Schoolfield, formerly Miss Rice Bythe, who bore him six children. Mr. Parker was quite a prominent citizen of the county, and was justice of the peace for nearly twenty years. He was a soldier under Gen. Andrew Jackson in the Creek war. He died in 1866, seventy-seven years of age. Our subject received his education mostly by individual application. He assisted his father on the farm until nineteen years of age, when he married Miss Dovy Beeson, a daughter of Solomon and Margaret N. Beeson. This union resulted in the birth of these children, viz.: Minerva (Mrs. Fryar), Tandey (deceased), Wiley F., Lizzie (Mrs.Morris), Margaret N. (deceased), James (deceased), John and Jefferson. Mrs. Parker died in 1870, and Mr. Parker took for his second wife Miss Teressa Carden, in 1875 or 1876. She is a daughter of Robert Carden. The result of the last union was the birth of four children: Robert, Dovy, Ida and Allen. In politics Mr. Parker is a Democrat. He began life as a day laborer; be now owns 1,200 acres of land two miles and a half southwest of the corporation line of Chattanooga. He followed farming until 1854, when be engaged in railroading as a day laborer, and afterward filled the position of contractor and conductor on construction trains, etc. He continued at the business until 1877, since which time he has followed farming. He was elected justice of the peace in 1876, and still holds the office. He has given universal satisfaction in the discharge of the duties of this office. His grandfather, Parker, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war
.Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
Note: Allen Parker married Teresa Carden September 21, 1875 in Hamilton Co., TN
Thomas Parkes, vice-president of the Daisy Coal Company, first began prospecting for coal in 1880, and as soon as coal was discovered in paying quantities, opened up the mine and increased the capacity of the mines to one hundred tons daily average. In 1881 a stock company was organized known as the Daisy Coal and Coke Company. Mr. Parkes was born April 16, 1840, in Williamson County, and is the second of six children of Thomas and Elizabeth (Field) Parkes. Mrs. Parkes was a lineal descendant of Lord Scales, one of the early governors of Virginia, and she and her husband were both of English ancestry. Our subject received his education at Franklin Academy. He was united in marriage to Miss S. E. Smith, of Nashville, Tenn., who is a daughter of George W. and Susan Smith. Mr. Smith was, of German and Mrs. Smith of English descent. The result of our subject's marriage was the birth of three children: Daisy, George and Thomas. Mr. Parkes was chairman of the board of police commissioners of Nashville for seven years. In May, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Twentieth Tennessee Infantry of which he was lieutenant and afterward major on Gen. J. Wheeler's staff. He served during the war, was captured but made his escape three weeks afterward. After the war he opened up the Daisy Coal Mines, and was a cotton commission merchant at Nashville, Tenn., style of the firm being Thomas Parkes & Co. Thomas Parkes, Sr., came to East Tennessee in 1833 to prospect for coal and iron. At that time he purchased land at and near Chattanooga and predicted that that city would be the future Pittsburg of America. He built the first cotton factory in Middle Tennessee , and owned the first steam cotton factory in Middle Tennessee. He was the inventor of the nail cutter now in use, but did not get it patented. Fifteen years later he went to Wheeling, Va., and found his machine in use. It is now about the latest improved nail cutting machine in use. He was the projector and president of the first railroad running south from Nashville, and was a remarkable man in foreseeing the future manufacturing possibilities of the country. The railroad of which he was the projector, running south to Sheffield from Nashville, is now one of the principal routes South. Our subject is a Democrat in politics, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
Patton John A.
Few men in any community combine to such a degree large means, great business ability, earnest public spirit and open-handed liberality in good causes as the subject of this sketch. Actively engaged in business for over a quarter of a century, he has found time to render public services of value , as well as to do many acts of private philanthropy. Few, if any, men of middle life, have touched more lines of activity, or have done more deeds of kindness. He was born in Illinois, 27 September, 1867, son of the late Maj. George W. Patten, who died in 1906. His father was a citizen of Alabama at the time, but the son was born at the home of his mother’s mother. He came to Chattanooga in 1883, and after one year in the city proper removed to St. Elmo. Entering the Chattanooga Medicine Company as office boy, in 1884, he became its secretary in 1891, and its managing partner in 1906. He is also interested in the Black-Draught Stock Medicine Company, the Patten Manufacturing Company, the Hamilton Realty Company, and the Gladstone Springs Company. At the beginning of the Stone Fort property development he was a half-owner of that company. Mr. Patten has been president of the Chattanooga Packet Company, the Chattanooga-Paducah boat line, since its organization, and he is president of the Tennessee River Improvement Association, of which all the commercial bodies in the Tennessee valley are members. Before congressional committees, boards of engineers and business organizations, he has frequently spoken for Tennessee River improvement. As president of the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, and one of the organizers of the Chattanooga Manufacturers’ Association, Mr. Patten has touched general civic affairs in Chattanooga helpfully. He is a member of the Hamilton County Board of Education; is a trustee of the University of Chattanooga, which institution owes much to him, and is also president of the Chattanooga Young Men’s Christian Association. He is a member of the Chattanooga Country Club and the Aldine Club of New York. Mr. Patten is a member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, of Chattanooga, chairman of the “book committee” controlling the publishing interests of the denomination and president of its general layman association. Mr. Patten’s brothers are: Z. C. Patten, Jr., and George H. Patten, and he has one sister, Mrs. J. Light Atlee, Jr. Mr. Patten, on 2 October, 1890, married Miss Edith Manker, daughter of the Rev. John J. Manker, a well-known Methodist minister. Their children are: Miss Charlotte H., David Manker, Edith Isabel, John A., Jr., George Tarbell and Zeboim Lupton. Standard History of Chattanooga, Tennessee Charles D. McGuffey 1911
Patterson, J. A. N.
J. A. N. Patterson, a farmer and merchant at Sale Creek, was born June 17, 1838, in Hamilton County Tenn., and is the fifth of eleven children born to Lewis and Mary Y. (Pearson) Patterson, eight of whom are now living. Both parents were of Scotch-Irish descent. The father was born in 1796 in Tennessee, and came to this locality before Hamilton County was organized. He was magistrate for many years and died in 1867. He took a great delight in hunting in his earlier days, being considered the best shot and the champion turkey hunter on many occasions. The mother was born in 1806 in Monroe County, Tenn., and died in 1872. Our subject was educated in Sale Creek Academy principally, and assisted his father in farming until twenty-two years of age. July 26, 1860, he married Miss E. S. Coulter, daughter of T. J. and M. J. (Gamble) Coulter, and this unioohn T. and, J. N. (deceased). Mrs. Patterson died in 1877, and in 1879 Mr. Patterson married Margaret H. Wallace, a daughter of Benjamin and Mary Wallace. Mr. and Mrs. Patterson are members of the Presbyterian Church of which he has been an elder since 1868. He is a Democrat and cast his first presidential vote for John Bell. He has been a very successful farm manager and stock raiser. He began life in ordinary circumstances and lost most of his personal property during the late war. In 1862 he enlisted in Company C, First Tennessee Cavalry, and was discharged in 1863. He participated in all the battles and severe skirmishes in which his company took part. In the fall of 1885 he opened a general store at Sale Creek, where he still continues. He is a successful farmer and an excellent citizen.n was blessed by the birth of five children, four of whom are living: William Preston, Robert Jefferson, Alfred L., Goodspeed's History of East Tennessee, 1887
Patten, Z.C. founder of Chattanooga Medicine Company
Zeboim Cartter Patten was born on May 3, 1840 in Jefferson, New York. He wore many hats during his lifetime, son, father, husband, soldier and businessman. In his younger years Patten had been a school teacher in New York. It was the Civil War that first brought Patten to Chattanooga. Patten had enlisted in the Union Army as a Private in the 115th Illinois Infantry. During the Battle of Chickamauga he was seriously wounded and discharged. After his wounds had healed Patten re-enlisted in the Union Army and was commissioned as a Lieutenant in the 149th New York Infantry. After the war Patten chose Chattanooga as his new home and found a job at a stationary store. He became partners with the owner, Thomas H. Payne and soon the store was named Patten and Payne. Around this time Patten married Mary Miller Rawlings and they had one daughter named Elizabeth. In 1875 the Patten and Payne partnership dissolved and Patten became the editor of the Chattanooga Daily Times until 1876. That same year Mary Rawlings Patten passed away. In 1877 Z.C. Patten founded the Chattanooga Medicine Company serving as president and in other capacities. In 1901 Patten was married to Sarah Avery Key who was the daughter of Judge David Key who was the former Post Master General of the United States. The couple had one son named Z.C. Patten Jr. At the time of his sons birth, Mr. Patten was sixty three years old. Patten had his home built on W38th just below the medicine company. Later John A. Patten’s family would live in the home. Z.C. Patten was also president of Volunteer State Life Insurance Company, president of Acme Kitchen Furniture Company and principle founder of the Stone Fort Land Company. Patten also served as president of the Commercial National Bank, chairman of the 1st Trust and Savings Bank and co-founder and president of ST Elmo Bank and Trust now Sun Trust Bank. The entrance to the Stone Fort property was where Hotel Patten was built. The old Elizabeth Apartments were built in honor of Patten’s daughter Elizabeth. Z.C. Patten passed away on August 26, 1929 and was buried in Forest Hills.
Written and submitted by Jeffrey C. Webb mysaintelmo.com
Payne, William O.
William O. Payne, Esq., the subject of this sketch is descended from one of the oldest and most worthy families in Tennessee. His ancestors by both the paternal and maternal sides followed Sevier and Shelby from North Carolina and Virginia to the Watauga settlement about the year 1770; were with them at King's Mountain, and afterward with Gen. James Robertson across the mountains to the French Lick, now the city of Nashville. Josiah Payne, his great-grandfather, was among the first of the little army that penetrated the wilderness to that frontier settlement, and his name appears upon the first tax list that was ever prepared for Davidson County. William Payne, his grandfather, and Elizabeth Payne, his grandmother, both being of the same name and distantly related, were married about the year 1787, and soon thereafter removed to a point on the Cumberland River, about forty-five miles by land east from Nashville to what is now Smith County, cut the cane and built a home in the bend of that river which took its name from his settlement as Payne's Bend, and is still known by that name. John Payne his father, son of William and Elizabeth Payne, was born on this old homestead in the year 1800, grew to manhood, and in 1823 was married to Eunice Graham Chambers, who was born in the year 1805, and was the worthy daughter of John Chambers another early immigrant to that settlement. John Payne died at the old home in April, 1848, his wife Eunice Chambers Payne surviving him many years, and died in the year 1883 at the age of seventy-eight years. William C. Payne our subject, was born to John and Eunice Payne in Smith County Tenn., on the 9th of August 1831, being the fourth of six children. He grew up on the old farm, and secured his education first at the country school near his father's home, was afterward sent to Oakland Academy, at Dixon's Springs, in Smith County, Tenn., from there he went to Irving College in Warren County, Tenn., and thence to Cumberland University at Lebanon in Wilson County, Tenn., graduating from the law department of that institution in the year 1855. On the 27th of November, 1852, he was married to Miss Mary Joliffe Bruce, daughter of Dr. Edward H. and Harriet Martin Bruce. Dr. Edward Bruce and wife were Virginians by birth and education, who bad moved to and settled in Smith County some years before. Dr. Bruce was the son of Robert Bruce, a Scotch gentleman, who came from Scotland at an early day, and settled in the valley of Virginia near Winchester. He was a lineal descendant from Robert Bruce of Scotland. Our subject, after spending a year in the West, looking about, returned to his native State, and began the practice of law at the town of Sparta in White County, Tenn., in the early part of the year 1857. He at once took good rank in his profession, and was in a few months elected attorney-general for his district, which position he held until the breaking out of the civil war between the States. Being an ardent Southern man and much attached to his native State, which a long line of honorable ancestry had helped to settle and build up, he entered the Confederate Army in September, 1861, serving first in the infantry, and afterward as a staff officer on the staff of Gen. George G. Dibrall. Though never having sought military honors or preferment, he was an earnest supporter of the Southern cause, until the close of the war. In November, 1866, Mr. Payne moved with his family to the city of Chattanooga, where he has since resided, engaged in the practice of his profession. He has two sisters living: Mrs. Minerva Price, of Hartsville, Trousdale Co., Tenn., and Mrs. Lucy Williams, of East Nashville, Tenn., who with himself compose all that is left of his father's family, the others dying in infancy. He and his estimable wife have had seven children, four of whom only are living: Lucy, Herbert, Margie and Alice. The family are members of the First Presbyterian Church at Chattanooga. In politics he is a Democrat, having ever believed in the teachings of Mr. Jefferson, and a strict construction of the fundamental written law.
Goodspeed's History of East Tennessee 1887
Peebles, John H. John H. Peebles, superintendent of the union passenger depot and union ticket agent at Chattanooga, was born in Petersburg, Va., June 30, 1849, and is the son of William L. and Rebecca (Harrison) Peebles, both natives of Virginia. Our subject grew up and was educated in his native State. In 1865 he came South, located in Nashville, and was in the employ of the North Carolina & St. Louis Railroad, as baggage master, but later was passenger conductor until 1876, when he came to Chattanooga and was ticket agent at this place for the Western & Atlantic and North Carolina & St. Louis Railroads until 1882, when he accepted his present position. April 18, 1878, he was united in marriage to Elizabeth B. Lanier, a native of Nashville, Tenn., and the fruits of this union were the births of three children, two sons and one daughter. Mr. Peebles is a Democrat, in politics, a Knight Templar, a Mason and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennesse 1887
Peeples, Starling C.
Starling C. Peeples, of Chattanooga, was born in Gordon County, Ga., October 25, 1850, and is a son of Drewry and Mary (Collier) Peeples, natives of North Carolina and Georgia respectively. Our subject grew to manhood and received his education in Georgia. In 1870 he came to Chattanooga, and was in the employ of his brother, William O., in the grocery business until the year 1880, when he became a member of the firm of W. O. Peeples & Bros. October 29, 1874, he married Miss Evaline Gregory, of Murray County, Ga., who died October 20, 1885, leaving two daughters: Mary E. and Sarah A. Mr. Peeples is a Democrat in politics, a Knight of Pythias, a member of the Royal Arcanum, A. L. of H. and the F. L. of H. He is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.Goodspeed's History of East Tennessee, 1887
Peeples, W. O.
W. O. Peeples & Bros., wholesale grocers, is individually composed of William O., S. C. and R. B. Peoples. This firm was established in 1868 by W. O. Peeples and W. W. Jackson, succeeded by W. O. Peeples, later by W. O. Peoples and J. C. Edmondson, and still later by W. O. Peeples. About 1880 the present firm was established. In the spring of 1887 the firm erected the large brick hotel and business block at the intersection of Ninth, Chestnut and Carter Streets. It is a triangular shaped building, l40 x 275 feet at one end, four stories high and a basement. The hotel has 140 rooms, exclusive of office, dining rooms, parlors, etc., and is estimated to have cost $85,000. There are eight business rooms on the ground floor, besides the hotel office. Two rooms, 50 x 140 feet, and basement are occupied by W. O. Peeples & Bros., who have two traveling men on the road in the general grocery trade. This trade extends over Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia. They employ four men in the house, besides three of the firm. Their business averages $250,000 per annum, and is one of the most successful wholesale establishments in Chattanooga.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
Pennock, Allen M.
Allen M. Pennock, manager of the Western Union Telegraph office, is a son of William A. and Harriet (Barnes) Pennock, both natives of Pennsylvania, where they grew UP and were married. They were Quakers in their religious views. Having lived in Pennsylvania until about 1856 they moved to New Jersey and made that their home. The father was by occupation a tailor. In 1883, while going home from collecting money he was waylaid and killed. After his death the mother moved back to the old home in Philadelphia, where she is now living. To them were born six children, only, three of whom are living - two sons and a daughter. The other son is the inventor of the Pennock Underground Conduit Telegraph System of Brooklyn. Our subject was born September 9, 1857, near where Washington crossed the Delaware in New Jersey. He received his education in the common schools, and when nine years of age learned telegraphy. At the age of fourteen he attended Now Jersey College at Bordentown, after which he returned to his former business and worked for several years under a train dispatcher. He was then made manager of Bordentown Western Union office where he continued two years and then accepted the position of manager of the office at Chester, Penn. He was night manager of all the telegraph lines that ran to the Centennial grounds. He was with the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad as operator nine mouths; was also operator at New York until 1878, when he came to Chattanooga. The following year he became day chief, and in 1885 was appointed manager, which position he is holding at present. In the latter year he married Miss Maggie Ragsdale. Mr. Pennock has under his charge three clerks, nine operators, five messengers, two line men and one battery man. He is a Knight of Pythias and a member of the Baptist Church. Mrs. Pennock is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
Poe, H. H.
H. H. Poe, farmer at Daisy, was born November 24, 1845, on the farm where he now resides. He is the second of eight children born to Samuel P. and Mary (Bryant) Poe. The father was born in Virginia and came to Daisy, Tenn., with his father when only eight years old He raised a regiment for the Mexican war and was elected major, but before starting received orders not to come as the war was at an end. He engaged in business at old Dallas, the first county seat, and was one of the first men to sell goods in Hamilton County. He died in November, 1866. The first county court was held at the house of H. Poe, grandfather of our subject. He (H. Poe) was a soldier in the war of 1812. The mother of our subject was born near Daisy, Tenn., and died in 1863. H. H. Poe received his education in the common schools of Hamilton County. He assisted his father on the farm until twenty-one years of age, after which he began working for himself. He now has 250 acres of the best land in the Tennessee Valley and is quite comfortably fixed. In 1878 be married Miss Ruth Champion, who was born August 11, 1845. The fruits of this union were three children: Myrtle, Porter and Edgar. Mr. and Mrs. Poe are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, of which he has been deacon for two years. He is a Democrat in politics. Mr. Poe's grandfather got the first charter for and built the first turnpike in Hamilton County, the one running from the Tennessee to the Sequatchie Valley, known as the Poe Turnpike.
Goodspeed's History of East Tennessee 1887
Price, Dr. E. H.
Dr. E. H. Price, physician, of Chattanooga, and son of Joel and Edith (Martin) Price, was born May 31, 1833, in Baltimore County, Md. He secured an academic education and, after teaching a short time, began the study of medicine, but was interrupted by the breaking out of the late war. Having moved to Ohio, he helped raise Company C, Eleventh Ohio Infantry (United States Army), and at first was first lieutenant, but in 1862 was promoted to the rank of captain of the same company. The last year of his service he was brigade inspector on the staff of Gen. John B. Turchon. After the war he took a course of lectures at Cleveland Homoeopathic Medical College, and in 1869 came to Chattanooga and practiced until 1872. One year later he graduated at Pulte Medical College at Cincinnati Ohio, and since then he has practiced at Chattanooga. Previous to the war in 1856 he married Sarah C. McConnell, a native of Maryland, who bore him two children-both daughters. The Doctor is a successful physician, and is doing well in his profession. He was one of the first police commissioners of Chattanooga, was a member of the first board of health, was school commissioner of his ward several years, and is universally respected. His parents were natives of Maryland and Pennsylvania respectively. The father was a farmer, and died in Ohio while on a visit to that State. The mother died a few years later. Three of the father's brothers were soldiers in the war of 1812, but at that time he was too young to participate.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
Rath, Dr. William E.
Dr. William E. Rath, a retired physician of Chattanooga, is a son of Julius E. and Matilda (Dombois) Raht, both natives of Germany, where they were reared. The parents came to America thirty-five years ago, and found a home in Tennessee. For many years the father was superintendent of the Coffer Mines in Polk County. He was a mining engineer and a graduate of a German college. He died in 1879. The mother is still living. Their family consisted of eight children, our subject being the third. He was born in Polk County, Tenn., February 6, 1858, and while growing up had good educational advantages. He paid considerable attention to mathematics. He spent three years at Sheffield Scientific School of Yale College, and graduated in medicine from the University of Pennsylvania in 1883 as an allopathic physician. He also took a post graduate course at Hahnemann Homoeopathic Medical College, after which he came to Chattanooga and entered into partnership with Dr. D. G. Curtis with whom he practiced until 1886. In 1883 he married Alice Edmiston, a native of Logan County, Ohio, by whom he had one son, Theodore. Dr. Raht is a Knight of Pythias, and since retiring from his profession has been devoting his energies to surveying.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
Rankin, Rev. G. C
Rev. G. C. Rankin, D. D., pastor of the Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church South, is a native of Jefferson County, Tenn., born November 19, 1849, and the son of Creed W. and Martha J. (Clark) Rankin, both natives of East Tennessee. The Rankin family has produced twenty-three preachers - twenty-one Presbyterians, one Congregational and one Methodist Episcopal. Creed W. was a farmer by occupation and died in 1862. The mother is still living. Our subject is the only living child of a family of seven children. He was educated in the common schools and at Hiwassee College from which institution he graduated in 1874. Since that time he has been engaged in his ministerial duties at the following places, respectively: Abingdon, Va; Asheville, N. C.; Knoxville, Tenn., and Chattanooga, where he is at the present time. In 1875 he married Miss Fannie Denton, of Dalton, Ga., who bore him five children-one son and four daughters. Mrs. Rankin is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Rankin is a mason, and has been preaching the gospel for twelve years. He came to Chattanooga in 1883, and is an able and faithful minister. He received the degree of D. D. from the University of Tennessee in the year 1879.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
Rathmel, Dr. John R.
Dr. John R. Rathmell was born in Franklin County, Ohio, August 6, 1853, and is one of eight children - three sons and five daughters - born to the union of John and Susan (Frank) Rathmell, natives of Ohio and Pennsylvania respectively. The father was a farmer and followed agricultural pursuits all his life. Our subject graduated from the classical course of Ohio Wesleyan University in 1880, and from the Starling Medical College, Columbus, Ohio, in 1883. The same year he came to Chattanooga, where he has practiced his profession ever since. As a physician he has been successful, being progressive, studious, candid and practical. Soon after coming to Chattanooga he was made secretary of the board of health, and was president of the same board in 1887. He is a member of the Chattanooga Medical Association and of the Medical Society of the State of Tennessee. In 1883 he married Miss Edith Beach of West Jefferson, Ohio, and the result of this union was one child, Maude. Dr. Rathmell is a Free Mason, being Worshipful Master for 1887 of Chattanooga Lodge, No. 199. In 1885 the degree of A. M. was conferred upon him by his Alma Mater. He and Mrs. Rathmell are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887.
Reveley, William Francis
1804 1804 - 1881
Francis Reveley moved to Hamilton County before 1841 and leased 250 acres near the community of Sale Creek, 30 miles north of Chattanooga. Sale Creek takes its name from a sale held on its banks of confiscated property taken from the British and Indians by General Evan Shelby and his troops after their 1779 expedition into the Chickamauga country. Francis served in the Civil War as a private in the 6th Tennessee Mounted Infantry Regiment, B Company. When the Civil War ended, Francis had land problems. The actual landowner, A. Crowley, moved to Texas before the Civil War. Mr. Crowley was so upset that the south lost that he was too embarrassed to come home. In 1869, Crowley sold the land. Francis supposedly had a verbal agreement with Crowley, that if he made improvements on the land and paid upkeep, he would have a lifetime lease…needless to say Francis was quite upset about losing his home, and the old kilns are supposed to still exist on the property. The Shelton Cemetery is on the same property and is the burial place of several family members. Francis was forced to move to the nearby community of Sale Creek. He lived there until his death in 1881..
Prepared and Submitted by Sarah Reveley firstname.lastname@example.org.
Roberson, Jesse C.
Jesse C. Roberson, farmer of the Fifteenth District, was born February 10, 1820, in Bledsoe County, and came to Hamilton County in June, 1862. He is the ninth of twelve children born to James and Margaret (Worthington) Roberson. The father was born in Anderson County, Tenn., in 1784, on Clinch River, and was of Scotch descent. He moved to Bledsoe County in 1805, was the first settler in Sequatchie Valley and suffered all the hardships and privations incident to pioneer life. At first he had to go eighty miles to mill. He represented Bledsoe and Marion Counties in the State Legislature in 1829 and 1830. He was a very successful farmer and trader, accumulating a large fortune, and was a prominent citizen of the county. He was a major in the State Militia, a deacon in the Baptist Church, and was the first man in that county to send his children away to school. He died in August, 1851. Mrs. Roberson was born in 1785, and died January 28, 1828. She was of English descent. He married the second time Miss Sallie Hutchinson, by whom he had four children. Our subject received his education in the University of Knoxville, and at the age of eighteen was thrown upon his own resources. He wedded Miss Mary Shepherd February 15, 1863. She is the daughter of Lewis and Margaret (Donohoo) Shepherd. Mr. Shepherd was born in Newberry District, S. C., in 1796, and died November 2, 1856. Mrs. Shepherd was born, in Monroe County, Tenn., in 1811, and is still living. Mrs. Shepherd's father, Mr. Charles Donohoo, came to Monroe County at quite an early day, locating first in a fort. He was sheriff of that county for many years. His father was an Irish weaver and was quite prominent in Ireland. Our subject's great-grandfather, on his mother's side, came from England to America with Lord Baltimore, and settled in Baltimore County, Md. Many of his descendants now live there, wealthy and prominent citizens. Our subject began life a poor man, and when twenty-seven years of age his father gave him $600 and he received some property by his wife, the balance has been acquired by his own industry and splendid management. During the late war much of his property was destroyed and taken by the armies which infested the neighborhood quite frequently. The war left him $28,000 in debt, which he has about liquidated. He now owns a fine farm of over 2,900 acres in Hamilton County, and also owns 1,600 acres in the Sequatchie Valley. To Mr. and Mrs. Roberson were born four children: Sallie M., Lewis Shepherd, Mary Worthington and Jessie Kankin. Mr. and Mrs. Roberson are of Baptist belief, and their daughters are members of that church. Mr. Roberson is a Royal Arch Mason, was a Whig in politics before the war, a Republican afterward, and is now a stanch Prohibitionist. He is a man well known for his honest dealings, has never pleaded usury nor taken advantage of the bankrupt law. His children have had good educational advantages for the last twelve years in the city of Chattanooga.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887.
Robert, Philip M.
Philip M. Robert, a prominent citizen of James County, is a native of Tennessee, and was born in Monroe County, September 6, 1830. He is the son of Philip and Nancy (Dougan) Robert. Both were of Scotch-Irish descent, and both were natives of Sevier County, Tenn. The father was born in 1797, and died in Monroe County, October 11, 1866. The mother was born April 23, 1795, and died in Monroe County, February 11, 1876. Our subject's grandfather, Robert, was among the first settlers of Sevier County. The parents of our subject were married in their native county about the year 1817. About 1829 they immigrated to Monroe County, where they spent the remainder of their days. The father was a popular and useful minister of the Missionary Baptist Church for over thirty years before his death. He was also a farmer. Our subject is the seventh of eleven children. He secured a good academical education in his youth, in his native county. He began life as a miner, and in 1853 he opened up the Soddy Coal Mines, in Hamilton County. In 1856 he purchased a farm on the Tennessee River, in Hamilton County, and in 1858 settled on this farm, and since that date to the present, farming has been his chief occupation. In the fall of 1886, he sold his farm in Hamilton County, and bought another in James County, where he now lives, one mile south of Ooltewah. Our subject has been a lively, active man. On June 8, 1854, he married Miss M. A. McRee, born in Hamilton County, February 23, 1840. Our subject is a Democrat, and a worthy member of the Presbyterian Church. His wife is a member of the same Church
.“Goodspeed’s History of East Tennessee,” James County, 1887.
1880 US Census, District 1, Hamilton Co., TN; Page 8.
Roberts, J. C.
J. C. Roberts, farmer, is a native of Tennessee, born June 1, 1835. He is the youngest of five children born to the union of Thomas and Sarah J. (Kennedy) Roberts, both natives of North Carolina. The father was born in North Carolina in 1801, came to Tennessee in 1832 and settled on Buffalo River. He removed to Hamilton County in 1838 and was a very successful farmer. He died about 1879. The mother was born about 1795. She was an active and devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for many years. She died in 1863. Our subject received his education in the common schools of Hamilton County. He wedded Miss Arabella Pickett, June 24, 1855, daughter of Mrs. Margaret Pickett. One child was the result of this union, who died in infancy. Mrs. Roberts died in 1857, and for his second wife Mr. Roberts took Miss Nancy Adaline Moreland in October, 1858. She is a daughter of Pleasant and Margaret Moreland. Mrs. Roberts was born in May 1836, and this last union resulted in the birth of eleven children: Malinda (deceased), Thomas (deceased), John W., James M., Mattie, Cynthia, Sallie, Bell, Mary, Willie and Lulla. Mr. and Mrs. Roberts and the eldest five children are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics Mr. Roberts is a Democrat. He has followed farming all his life, excepting time spent in the late war. He enlisted in September, 1862, in Lookout battery, which operated principally in Mississippi. He was in the fights at Jackson (Miss.), Resaca and Atlanta, and was mustered out of service after the fight at Atlanta. He served the people of his district as justice of the peace for four years, and was a member of the county court, giving universal satisfaction. He takes quite an interest in education, and his children have had good educational advantages. Starting in life with very little, he now has property valued at $35,000. His grandfather, Roberts, came from Ireland to America about the time of the Revolutionary war, and settled shortly after in North Carolina.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887.
Robeson, Littleberry Polk
Littleberry P. Robeson was born November 9, 1844 in Bradley County and died April 24, 1908 in Ooltewah. Robeson was buried in Sylar Cemetery. Robeson was married December 18, 1867 in Ooltewah to Margaret Elizabeth Long. Marrgaret was born July 2, 1846 in Marion County and died April 26, 1914 in Ooltewah and was buried beside Littleberry in Sylar Cemetery.
In his early years Robeson was very headstrong, and a family story tells of his determination of having a portion of his toes cut off by his brother James rather than move his foot from the chopping block. He joined the 43 TENN Inf. Co. K, 5 East TENN Vols. - Gillespie's Regiment, and was mustered in at Ooltewah in November 1862. He served the Confederacy with pride and took part at the siege at Vicksburg in July 1863. During the Battle of Black River (West Point, Mississippi), his right arm was thrown out of place at the elbow, It was never properly set and troubled him the remainder of his life. Taken prisoner by the Union forces and sent home; captured again in Dallas (Hamilton County) on October 27, 1863, and sent as a prisoner of war to Nashville. Robeson was Paroled on November 5, 1863, after signing an Oath of Allegiance. After the war he farmed in the Ooltewah Valley but because the records of land transactions were burned in the James County Courthouse fire, the total amount of land he owned is unknown. It is known that he owned 40 acres of land in Ooltewah, which passed to his daughter Anna Mae at the time of his wife’s death. That land was bounded by Mrs. Sylar’s and William Fitzgerald’s property. As a farmer he owned a horse, cows, and hogs. His daughter Cleopatra and her daughter Zepher were living in his home. In 1904, he applied for a pension for service in the Confederate Army, claiming his war injury; the application is #5973. That pension application was rejected with the notation " took oath too soon - #1 only proof." The witnesses for his pension H. J. Humphrey and S. McGhee stated that Robeson "was a good soldier ready and willing for duty when able.
"Copyright 2001. Used with permission of Phebe Morgan email@example.com