Matthews, Pleasant L.
Pleasant L. Matthews, Esq., a well known, enterprising planter of James County, and a resident of the Fourth Civil District, is a native of Tennessee, and was born in McMinn County, near Athens, August 17, 1825, the son of John and Nancy (Collison) Matthews. The father was of English descent, and the mother's ancestors came from Ireland. The father was a native of North Carolina, born in that State June 26, 1786, and died in James County, where our subject now lives, June 1, 1869. The mother was born in Tennessee, and died May 5, 1860. The parents were married in Blount County, Tenn. After their marriage they moved to McMinn County, and lived in that county about twenty years, then came to Bradley County, where they lived three years; then removed to what was then Hamilton County, but now James, about 1839, where they spent the remainder of their days. The father was by trade a mechanic, to which be associated the farming interest, and made life a success. He was a Democrat, and a worthy member of the Primitive Baptist Church about sixty years. The mother was a member of the same church. Our subject is the youngest of eight children, three of whom are still living. He secured a common-school education in his youth, at Georgetown. In 1845 be went to Blount County, and worked at the tanning business one year, and in the spring of 1846 he returned home and established a tanning business of his own, continuing nine years, and was successful. In 1855 he commenced farming at the old homestead, and since that date to the present he has given his attention exclusively to agricultural pursuits, and has been very successful, now owning 1,080 acres of land in James and Bradley Counties. He has been an active man. On October 30, 1856, he was united in marriage with Miss Margaret Williamson, a native of North Carolina, born in Mecklenburg County, April 17, 1839. Our subject was fortunate in his choice of a companion. To this union was born one daughter, Nancy E., born September 1, 1857. She was married to Mr. Edward Edwards, December 19, 1877. Our subject is a stanch Democrat. He is not a member of any church, but is a firm believer in the Christian religion, and is in sympathy with the Primitive Baptist Church. His wife, daughter and son-in-law, are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. He has three grandchildren: Louis R., born December 4, 1878; Margaret E., born October 4, 1881; Ina E., born April 13, 1884. Margaret E. died May 23, 1884. Our subject was justice of the peace twenty-seven years.
“Goodspeed’s History of East Tennessee,” James County , 1887
McCallie, William A.
W. A. McCallie, a prominent merchant of Birchwood, was born near his present location, August 21, 1851. He is the second of seven children of John and Amanda McCallie. The father is of Scotch origin. He was born in Blount County, Tenn., January 28, 1829. He is a successful agriculturist of James County, and a Republican. The mother was born in Hamilton County, Tenn., November 16, 1828, and is still living. The subject of this sketch received a liberal education at the home schools and Chatata Seminary, Bradley County. He taught school in that county three years, and was a photographer two years. He then came to Birchwood, and engaged in the mercantile business. Three years later he went to Georgetown, Meigs County, and remained one year. He then returned to Birchwood. He is an. enterprising merchant, carrying a first-class stock of goods, worth $2,000. He has built up an extensive and substantial trade. He is a stanch Republican, and a highly esteemed citizen.
“Goodspeed’s History of East Tennessee,” James County , 1887.
1880 US Census, District 3, James Co., TN; Page 324.
McCollum, Joab L.
Joab L. McCollum, agent for the North Carolina & St. Louis Railroad at Chattanooga, is a native of Dade County, Ga., born May 10, 1842; son of Joab and Sarah (Wood) McCollum, natives respectively of South Carolina and Georgia. Our subject was reared and educated in his native State. Upon the breaking out of the war he enlisted in Gen. John B. Gordon's (now governor) original company, known then as the "Raccoon Roughs," and served throughout the war, being promoted through the various grades to major. He was wounded at the Battle of Seven Pines, Va., also at Chancellorsville, Spotsylvania and Petersburg, some of these were very severe wounds in the head and limbs. April 19, 1866, he married Miss Bettie A. Holmes, a native of Whitesburg, Ala., and they have two sons and five daughters living. Soon after the war Mr. McCollum began railroading on the Alabama & Chattanooga Road, in this city, served in various capacities as agent, acting treasurer, bookkeeper, master of transportation and superintendent of the road from 1868 to 1871. In the latter year he entered the employ of the North Carolina & St. Louis Railroad, as conductor. During the latter part of 1873 he entered the service of the S. & L. & S. E. Railroad as assistant superintendent, and served this road about one year, with headquarters at Nashville. He re-entered the employ of the North Carolina & St. Louis Railroad in the latter part of 1874 as train master at Chattanooga, and the following year was made agent at Chattanooga. Mr. McCollum is a Democrat, a Mason, a member of the K. T., A. O. U. W., K. of G. R., and of the Methodist Episcopal Church
.Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
McDonald, Wiley P.
Wiley P. McDonald, a well-to-do farmer, of James County, was born in McMinn County, January 2, 1826, being the son of William and Matilda (Kirkpatrick) McDonald. They were of Scotch and English descent, and both were natives of Jefferson County. The father was born in 1796 and died in what is now James County in 1858. The mother was born in 1798 and died in what is now James County in 1851. The parents were married in their native county about 1818. The father was a planter and made life a success. He was a decided Democrat, and a worthy member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The mother was a member of the same church. Our subject is the third of eleven children. He secured a good academic education in his youth in what was then Hamilton County, though now James. Farming has been his chief occupation. In 1860 he purchased and settled where he now lives. He has never married. A sister who died last year has lived with him a great deal. Mrs. Eliza C. Thompson, another sister, and the widow of James Thompson, is now living with him. He is a Democrat, and a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
“Goodspeed’s History of East Tennessee,” James County, 1887
McMillin, James P
James P. McMillin, of Chattanooga, was born on Lookout Mountain in 1856, and is a son of the late Jonathan P. McMillin, who was a well-known and prominent citizen of Chattanooga. He died in that city in 1882. Our subject was reared to manhood in Chattanooga, and educated at Emory and Henry College, Virginia. In 1876 he engaged in the general insurance and real estate agency business, in which he has remained continuously ever since, with excellent success. He also engaged in the drug business for four years of this time. In 1881 he married Miss Lizzie Armstrong, of Knoxville, who bore him two children -one son and one daughter. He is a Democrat in politics, a Royal Arcanum, and a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal Church
.Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887 .
McQuade, Harry A.
Harry A. McQuade, plumber, gasfitter and dealer in plumbers' and gasfitters' supplies, is a native of Nashville, Tenn., where he was reared, and in 1860 began an apprenticeship to the plumbers' trade, serving five years with Henderson Bros., of that city. He followed his trade there until 1870, when he came to Chattanooga, and was connected with the water company until 1881, when he established his present trade which has already grown to large proportions. He is also assistant chief of the fire department, being one of the charter members of the company. In 1868 he was united in marriage to Miss L. Chedbille, a native of France. To this union four children have been born, two daughters and one son now living. Michael and Margaret McQuade, the parents of our subject, were natives of Ireland, and came to the United States in 1845. They died in Nashville in 1862 and 1857 respectively. Our subject is a Knight of Pythias and served on the board of mayor and alderman in 1875, representing the Third Ward.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
McReynolds, Hugh L.
Hugh L. McReynolds, M. D., is a native of Cass County, Mo., born July 2, 1848, and the son of Coleman C. and Mary (Callaway) McReynolds, both born, reared and married in East Tennessee, where they lived until 1844, and then moved to Missouri. In 1850 the father went to Colorado, and there died. His calling in life was that of a physician. Four years after the death of her husband, the mother died of cholera. In their family were five children, three of whom are living-two sons and one daughter, the other son is a Missionary Baptist minister. Our subject, when nine years of age, was brought to East Tennessee, where he received his literary education. In 1868 he began the study of medicine under Dr. A. D. Scruggs, and graduated from the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, in 1871, and also at the same time, from the Philadelphia Lying-in Charity Hospital. For ten years he practiced at Mouse Creek, Tenn., and in 1882 came to Chattanooga. He is president of the United States Board of Examining Surgeons, a member of the Chattanooga and State medical association, and during 1883 he was physician of the Hamilton County jail. In 1871 he married Mattie L. Rice of East Tennessee, by whom he has three children-two sons and a daughter. Both Dr. and Mrs. Reynolds are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
Melendy, Arthur R.
Arthur R. Melendy, D. D. S., is the son of A. B. and Anna B. (Rice) Melendy, natives of Vermont and Massachusetts respectively. They were married in Vermont and came to Tennessee in 1869. The father followed farming as an occupation, but is now retired from active life and lives in Knoxville, Tenn. Their family consisted of two sons. Our subject was born March 4,1859, in Vermont and educated at the University or Tennessee. He received his dental education at Vanderbilt University, from which he graduated in 1883 taking the Morrison prize, on best general examination. He then went in partnership with Dr. S. B. Cook at Sweet Water, and afterward came to Chattanooga. In 1884 he married Miss Vallie Brewster, of Sweet Water, who bore him one child, Melvil. The Doctor is a member or the East Tennessee Dental Association of which he has been president, and he and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
Merriam, I. B.
I. B. Merriam, one of the leading wholesale grocery merchants of Chattanooga, was born in Syracuse, N. Y., in 1840. His parents, Noah and Mary A. (Brown) Merriam were natives of New York, and the father was a farmer. Our subject grew to manhood on the farm and secured a good academic education. In 1862 he enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Twenty-second New York Infantry, Federal Army, and served until the close of the war, being sergeant the last year. At the battle of Winchester, he was wounded in the right arm which crippled him for life. After the war he engaged in mercantile pursuits in Michigan and Alabama until 1879, when he came to Chattanooga to engage in the wholesale business. Ever since Mr. Merriam has been one of the firm, although the firm title has undergone changes several times. In 1886 he took as partner, R. B. Davenport, who had formerly traveled for the house. They have two men on the road and do an extensive business. In 1866 Miss Mary Saulsbury, of New York, became his wife, who bore him three children-all sons. After her death Mr. Merriam married Miss Bettie Dews, or Alabama. They have three children, two sons and a daughter. Mr. Merriam is director of the City Savings Bank, director of the Commercial Printing Company and also director of the Baptist Reflector. He is a Mason and a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
Middleton, Captain Hugh M. 1835 - 1903
Captain Hugh M. MIDDLETON was born Aug. 20, 1835, near Cunningham, in Forsythe Co., GA. He moved with his parents Capt. and Mrs. John MIDDLETON of Chattooga County near Summerville, in the same state, in the year 1838. His father died there in the same year, leaving his widow, Matilda MIDDLETON, and five sons, Albert, Andrew J., John, Hugh M., and William P. MIDDLETON. Albert MIDDLETON died in Mexico in the year 1847, being at that time a member of Capt. William FULTON'S company of cavalry. William P. MIDDLETON died near Centreville, Va., in December 1861, a member of Company B, Ninth Georgia volunteer infantry, C. S. A. Andrew J. MIDDLETON died in April 1897, in Gordan county, ten miles north of Calhoun, Ga. John MIDDLETON died at an early age, about 1840, at that time being seven years old. Hugh M. MIDDLETON married Miss Mary A. CARTER at Summerville, Ga., in June 1860. In the early months of the year 1862 he helped to organize Company H. Thirty-ninth Georgia infantry and was elected third lieutenant. In the regular order of promotion, he was made captain of the company in the early part of 1864 while the Confederate army was in winter quarters at Dalton, Ga.IN THE WAR
On Feb. 21, 1864, he received a furlough to visit his home and walked from Dalton to Summerville, a distance of forty miles, making the trip in one day. On Feb 22 he was captured by a detachment from the Fifteenth Pennsylvania United States troops at Summerville, and was carried to Chattanooga, and then to Nashville, and finally landed at Fort Delaware about March 30. He remained there until Kirby SMITH surrendered the trans-Mississippi department and was then paroled on July 25, 1865. He then returned to Summerville and sold out his possessions there and moved to Elizabethtown, Ky., with his wife and daughter Ella. They lived there for twenty-five years and in 1890 moved to Chattanooga.
IN BATTLES AROUND CHATTANOOGA Capt. MIDDLETON was under fire with his company at Bridgeport Ala., in May 1862, and afterwards at Baker's Creek or Champion Hill, Miss., in May 1863. He was in Vicksburg when that city was besieged by the union forces. Capt. MIDDLETON was also in the battle of Mission ridge and the operations around Chattanooga. At the time of his death Capt. MIDDLETON was a member of the Master Masons lodge, Hardin Lodge, No. 249, Knights of Honor, and N. B. FORREST camp. For some years he was a member of the county court, having been elected as successor of the late J. A. HOLTZCLAW, immediately after the latter's demise. Since living in Chattanooga Mr. MIDDLETON has taken much interest in politics and was one of the best-known democrats in the county. Mr. MIDDLETON'S term expired about three years ago, and he has not taken an active part in politics since that time.
Chattanooga Times Sunday March 29, 1903
Submitted by Donna B. Fitzgerald firstname.lastname@example.org
Millard, Preston A.
P. A. Millard, assistant postmaster at Chattanooga, is the son of Hugh M. and Elizabeth (Preston) Millard. The father was born in Tennessee and the mother in Virginia, both near the line dividing these States. After marriage they settled in Virginia, where the father followed agricultural pursuits. Of their family of five children our subject was the eldest. He was born in Tennessee April 10, 1856, and educated in the public schools and King College. For about three years he assisted in the post office at Bristol, Tenn., and in 1880 came to the office at Chattanooga. He began as delivery clerk, but soon arose to the position of assistant postmaster, which he has filled acceptably for five years. In 1884 he married Miss Mary H. Drake, and to them was born one child, Myra. Mr. Millard is a member of the Christian Church, and his wife or the Presbyterian. They are highly respected citizens. Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee"
1887 1880 US Census, Bristol, Sulliv of Hamilton County and Chattanooga Tennessee, Volume 1." by Zella Armstrong.
Theodore G. Montague, president of the First National Bank, of Chattanooga, Tenn., was born in Meigs County, Ohio, in 1836. Such advantages of education as were available he improved. His first business venture was to enter, as clerk, the leading store at the county seat, Pomeroy, where in the next two years he acquired some knowledge of goods and the ways of trade. He then taught school one term of four months, after which Mr. Montague spent two years at the Pomeroy Academy. On leaving this school he entered the bank of Daniel & Rathburn, where he put in practice the thorough business education he had acquired. The system of business in the bank was suited to his tastes, and although circumstances seemed to draw him into other lines, he returned to this work the first favorable opportunity. For three years he was the bookkeeper of a large coal mining company, and from this office, in 1863, Mr. Montague entered the United States service, as adjutant of the One Hundred and Fortieth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry. When the civil war closed Mr. Montague went to such places in the Southern States as he thought might have advantages for future growth and development. Being favorably impressed with Chattanooga, Tenn., he easily induced the friends with whom he had been associated in the banking business to visit that section, and the result was the organization, in 1865, of the First National Bank, with W. P. Rathburn as president and Mr. Montague as cashier. The organization of this bank was a red-letter day in the young city's history. Mr. Montague was the cashier for nineteen years when, on the death of Mr. Rathburn he was chosen to the presidency. From the beginning the management was judicious in the use of this capital by fostering all worthy local enterprises. The history of the First National Bank for twenty-two years reflects the character of the men in control. Only $10,000 of the capital stock was originally subscribed by citizens of Chattanooga, now a majority of the stock is owned by them. The dividends paid to the stockholders have been larger than that of any bank in East Tennessee, and the capital and earnings now held by the bank and available for the wants of the ever-increasing business is larger than that or any other bank in that section. Mr. Montague has not only officially but personally encouraged and assisted in the organization of most of the business enterprises that have contributed to make Chattanooga the most progressive manufacturing city in the South. Among the leading industries with which he has been connected we mention the Roane Iron Company, Lookout Water Company, Chattanooga Gas Company, Brush Electric Light Company, City Fire Insurance Company, Chattanooga Stove Company, Citico Furnace Company, Loraine Tool Company, Whitney (cotton) Mills, etc. Although prominently connected with the varied interests of this section, Mr. Montague has never been an aspirant for public or political honors. The only exception was to serve as alderman or the city one term. At this time the city finances were at a low ebb, and the board of aldermen refused to accept any pay for their services. In schools, churches and charities Mr. Montague is a recognized factor. In 1875 Mr. Montague married Miss Mary Thayer, of Boston, Mass., and by her is the father of four children. Mr. Montague and family are exemplary members of the Presbyterian Church.
"Goodspeed's History of East Tennessee," 1887.
Moon, John Austin
JOHN AUSTIN MOON, son of William Franklin Moon and Marietta Appling Moon, was born in Albermarle County, Va., April 22, 1865. He died in Chattanooga, June 26, 1921. He was educated in Bristol, Va., graduating from King College. He was admitted to the Bar at the age of nineteen in Alabama. He moved to Chattanooga in 1875 and was admitted to the Tennessee Bar. He was elected City Attorney in 1881 and served two years. He was a member of the State Democratic Committee in 1888. He was made special Circuit judge in May 1889 and held the office until 1891. He was appointed judge of the Fourth judicial Circuit in August 1892 and was elected Circuit judge and re-elected for a term of eight years. He resigned, however, because he was elected to Congress. He served as a member of Congress from March 4, 1897, to March 3, 1921, twelve successive terms, twenty-four years. In 1900 he was a delegate at large to the Democratic National Convention. His career of forty years in faithful public service is without criticism. His work for the improvement of the Tennessee River is recognized as inspirational. He served on many important committees during the Wilson administration and had much to do with the establishment of the Parcel Post. In recognition of his important work the Post Office in Chattanooga was closed during the time of his funeral. Judge Moon was particularly devoted to his family and friends, and for the latter he made many sacrifices which he considered privileges. He married Adeline McDowell Deaderick, daughter of James W. Deaderick and Adeline Shelby Deaderick. Their two children are Anna Mary Moon and William Deaderick Moon, who married Elise Chapin, daughter of Edward Young Chapin and Elise Hutcheson Chapin. Mr. and Mrs. William Deaderick Moon have three children, Mildred Carrington, Adeline Deaderick and William Deaderick Moon, Jr. Judge Moon had sisters who are also identified with Chattanooga, where they were much beloved. Harriet Rembert Moon married John M. Chauncey and had three daughters, Franklin Chauncey who married Charles E. Goode, Mary Virginia Chauncey who married Ted Weber, and Maltier Rembert Chauncey. Marietta Moon married John H. Boldridge and had six children, John Reid Boldridge of New York, Frank Moon Boldridge of Charlotte, N. C., Chauncey H. Boldridge of Atlanta, Ga., Austin Gallatin Boldridge of Houston, Texas, James Barclay Boldridge of Wilson, N. C., and Marietta Moon Boldridge who married M. Waldo Lever of Spartanburg, S. C., and had Chauncey Waldo Lever and William Boldridge Lever. Two sisters of judge Moon, Lucy Reid Moon and Sarah Barclay Moon, died unmarried.
“The History of Hamilton County and Chattanooga Tennessee, Volume 1,” by Zella Armstrong
Moore, Richard J.
R. J. Moore, a farmer of the Fifteenth District, was born March 25, 1818, in Bledsoe County, and came to Hamilton County in 1835, where he has since resided, excepting three years when he lived in Georgia. He is the fourth of twelve children born to Nimrod and Sarah (Jones) Moore. The father is of Irish descent, and a lineal descendant of Lord John Moore, of Ireland. The mother is of Welsh descent, and a member of the Baptist Church. Our subject received his education in the subscription schools of Bledsoe County principally, but also gained considerable knowledge from reading. He began business for himself when twenty-three and has made farming a success. In 1842 he married Miss Margaret Jane Pitner, a native of Sevier County, Tenn., born December 24, 1828, the daughter of John and Dorathy (Criswell) Pitner, both of Dutch descent. To our subject and wife were born thirteen children: Sarah D. (Mrs. Varnell), Richard D., Harriet A. (Mrs. Shelton), Mary A. (Mrs. Burns), Margaret J. (Mrs. Duncan, formerly Mrs. Gamble), Rebecca M., Marina E. (Mrs. Duncan), James R., Tennessee F. (Mrs. Burns), Thomas J. (deceased), Virginia V., John R. and Archibald H. Mr. and Mrs. Moore are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church of which Mr. Moore has been deacon for some time. He has also been an elder of the same since 1857. He is a Democrat in politics and cast his first presidential vote for Martin Van Buren. He owns 623 acres of land near the East Tennessee, Virginia & Georgia Railroad. He has been trustee of the academy at Tyner for seven years and takes a great interest in education. He is a Master Mason. His grandfather, Frederick Jones, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, was a Whig at that time. His son, Jeremiah H., was a soldier in the Creek Indian war and was a clerk for Gen. Rufus Gaines. His eldest son, James Jones, was a sailor. Our subject's brother, Harberd H. Moore, was a soldier in the Seminole war twelve months. He was mustered out in Louisiana at the close of the war.
"Goodspeed's History of East Tennessee,"
18871880 US Census, District 15, Hamilton Co., Tennessee; Page 78