Baxter, G. A.
G. A. Baxter, A. M., M. D., is a son of George W. and Catherine (Alexander) Baxter, both born and reared in North Carolina. While growing up the father received a good literary and legal education and made the profession of law his pursuit in life. He died in 1854, and later the mother married his brother, Hon. John Baxter, lately United States circuit judge. The mother lived until 1865. To the second marriage there were no children, and only one, the Doctor, to the first marriage. He was born in Buncombe County, N. C., November 28, 1851, and his higher education was received at Earlham College, Indiana, from which he received the degree of A. B. He then attended Kenyon College, and later graduated from Hobert College of Geneva, N. Y., from which also he received the degree of A. M. The East Tennessee University conferred upon him the honorary degree of A. M. In 1873, he graduated from Belleview Hospital Medical College, and thereupon accepted the position of assistant surgeon on the Erie Railroad, the surgical department of which he organized. In 1875, he came to Chattanooga and has practiced his profession here since. In 1879, he married Miss Ellen Douglas, of Nashville, who bore him three children, two of whom are living: Douglas and Bruce. The Doctor has held the position of vice-president of the State Medical Society, is a member of the city board of health, Royal Arch Mason, K. of P., K. of H., and both he and wife are members of the Episcopal Church.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
Beck, Henry C.
Henry C. Beck, the efficient and affable register of Hamilton County, was born on the 10th of March, 1853, in the county where he now resides, and which has been his home through life. His father, Joshua Beck, was a native of North Carolina and immigrated to this county at the early period of 1822. He here wedded Margaret Hixson, a native of Hamilton County, Tenn., and they became one of the county's best and most respected families. They followed agricultural pursuits until the death of the father, August 5, 1886, since when the widow has lived a retired life near Chattanooga. Henry C., the immediate subject of this biography, was reared and mostly educated in his native county, although, for a time, he attended school at Athens, Tenn. He first began his public career in August, 1874, when he was elected to the office of county register; so, efficiently did he fill the requirements of this position that he was re-elected at the end of his term, and twice thereafter re-elected, and is now serving his fourth term in that office. Mr. Beck also fills the positions of secretary of the Northside Steamboat & Ferry Company, secretary of the Grandview Cemetery, and is a director in the Mutual Real Estate and Home Building Association. To his marriage with Miss Rhoda D. Wexler, a native of Sullivan County, this State, there have been born two sons and one daughter, one son being now deceased.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
Joshua Beck, born in Rhea County, Tennessee., August 8, 1813; died in Hamilton County August 5, 1886. He was the son of David and Sarah Hunter Beck. He moved to Hamilton County with his parents in 1820. He married, July 31, 1850, Margaret Hixon who was born February 12, 1833, and died December 4, 1897.
Their children were:
1. Henry Clay, born March 10, 1853, died August 6, 1915, married October 10, 1875, Rhoda D. Wexler, born 1876
2. Sarah Rebecca, born December 21, 1858, died March 10, 1864
3. David Houston, born September 17, 1862, died young
4. William Tecumseh Sherman, born June 6, 1866, married October 11, 1887, Flora A. Tarwater
5. U. S. Grant, born December 16, 1868, died young
6. James, born June 17, 1871, died young
7. John, born 1873, died young.
Some Pioneers – History of Hamilton County and Chattanooga Tennessee, Vol. I, 1931
Beck, William Sherman
WILLIAM SHERMAN BECK, son of Joshua Beck and Margaret Hixon Beck, was born in Hamilton County, June 6, 1866. His parents were among the earliest residents of the County and his grandfather, David Beck, a soldier of the Revolution, was also an early citizen. He is buried on the Beck farm. William Sherman Beck was educated in the public schools of Hamilton County and at East Tennessee Wesleyan University. After his graduation he went into business with his brother, the late Henry Clay Beck, who had established the Title Guaranty and Trust Company in Chattanooga, of which William S. Beck is now President and manager. He became interested in civic and county duties, and he served in 1906 on the High School Board of Hamilton County. This Board built the Central High School and the High Schools of Tyner, Soddy, Sale Creek and Hixon. He was instrumental in organizing the Hamilton County Board of Education which took over the grammar schools from the various school districts of the County. Under his administration forty-two schoolhouses were constructed in Hamilton County. The school terms were increased from five to nine months and most of the one-room schoolhouses were abolished. The Hamilton County School System was recognized at this time as one of the best in the South. He served the County Schools for sixteen years and was chairman of both boards. When the town of North Chattanooga was organized in 1914, he was elected a commissioner; he also served as Treasurer until 1923 when he was elected Mayor. In 1925 when Greater North Chattanooga was organized, he was elected Mayor and under his administration many improvements were made. He is a member of St. Marks Methodist Church, which he helped to organize and finance as well as to build. In 1887 he married Flora Tarwater, a descendant of pioneer families of Knox County, including the Tarwaters and the Rules. The late Co1. William A. Rule, the distinguished editor of the Knoxville Journal and Tribune for many years, was her kinsman. Mr. and Mrs. Beck have six children, William C.; Otis Henry; Frank Eugene; Edgar Sherman; Anna Lucille; and Flora Elizabeth.
Bell, David Newton
Son of Samuel Bell, was born in Wythe County, Va., in 1787. He died in Bradley County April 16, 1882. He moved to Knox County with his parents when he was a boy. In the early 1840's he moved to Harrison. Late in life he lived for a time with a daughter in Warren County, and with a daughter in Bradley County. He married in Monroe County, a widow, Mrs. Eliza A. Martin Manley, who was born June 10, 1813, in Philadelphia, Tenn. She was the daughter of John Martin. She died in November, 1898.
Their children were:
(1) Samuel Granville, born 1837, died unmarried;
(2) Mary J., born April 1, 1839, married W. H. Smartt;
(3) Sidney A. (a daughter), born 1841, married twice, married first, 1860, C. F. Swann,
married second, 1864, James Laymon;
(4) Rosa, born 1844, married Gus Cate;
(5) David Newton, Jr., born 1846, died unmarried;
(7) James Smith, born 1848, died 1930, married Ann Williams, daughter of Samuel Williams;
(8) Ellen N., born 1850, married Allen C. Burns.
The History of Hamilton County
Bell, James Smith
James Smith Bell, son of David Newton Bell and Eliza Anne Martin Bell, was born February 20, 1848, in Harrison, Tennessee. He moved to Chattanooga when a young man. He received his education in the public schools of Hamilton and Bradley counties. Later he attended Ewing and Jefferson College of Knox County, and Maryville College, Maryville, Tennessee. He completed his education at Eastman National Business College of Poughkeepsie, New York. He began his business career in partnership with Mr. Samuel Williams. They were cattle dealers. In 1881 he was elected School Commissioner for Chattanooga and for fifteen years served as President and Treasurer of The Hamilton County Industrial School, later known as Bonny Oaks School. All of these services were rendered without compensation. He also served several terms as District School Commissioner in the County, and in 1897 was County Commissioner to the Tennessee Centennial Exposition. At one time, during his young manhood, he was a deputy in the County Court Clerk's office. He had from time to time interested himself in various lines of business enterprises and was one of the oldest bank directors in point of service that Chattanooga has known. His father, David N. Bell, was owner of original stock in The First National Bank. In 1882 James S. Bell became a director in that institution and held this place up to the time of his death, which occurred May 4, 1930. He was a director of the old Fourth National Bank, and director and vice president of the Bank of Commerce and Savings Company for a short time. At one time he was a director, later vice president, then president of the Richmond Hosiery Mills, and of the Chattanooga Knitting Mills and a director of the Rockwood Hosiery Mills. At one time he was also director and vice president of the Chattanooga Coffin and Casket Company. He married Ann Williams, daughter of Samuel Williams and his second wife, Keturah Taylor Williams. The marriage took place January 5, 1873, in Chattanooga, the ceremony being performed by Dr. Thomas Hooke McCallie of the First Presbyterian Church of which Church Mr. Bell became a member later. Mr. and Mrs. Bell had four sons and three daughters, (1) James Edgar who makes his home in Purcell, Oklahoma, he married Alta Wilson and has Joe Edgar, James Smith, Clara May and Wilson Bell; (2) David Newton who is unmarried; (3) Charles Alonzo who makes his home in Shawnee, Oklahoma, he married Gail Miller of Purcell, and has George Miller and Charles Alonzo, Jr.; (4) Allie Rose, married Thomas S. Myers of Chattanooga and has William Thomas Myers; (5) Ralph Williams who makes his home in Colorado Springs, Col., he married Shelley Nixon of Chattanooga and has Anne Elizabeth, Margery Nixon and James Timmons; (6) Ethel Ann who married Isaac B. Merriam, Jr., of Chattanooga and has Martha Dews Merriam; and (7) Marie, who married William A. Quinn of Henderson, Kentucky , and has James Bell Quinn and William A. Quinn III.
The History of Hamilton County and Chattanooga Tennessee, Volume 1 by Zella Armstrong,
Bell, Dr. J. T.
Dr. J. T. Bell, physician and surgeon of Soddy, was born in Rhea County September 15, 1850, and is the son of William H. and Nancy (Rainy) Bell. The father was born in Green County and died February 19, 1876. He was a minister of the gospel in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church of which he was first to establish in East Tennessee. He organized congregations and built churches all over East Tennessee. A few of the many churches he was the means of building were at Cleveland in Bradley County, at Jasper in Marion County, and at New Bethel in Bledsoe County. He was taken sick while preaching in the Presbyterian Church at Cleveland during the session of the synod, was taken home and died shortly afterward. He was a charter member of Washington Masonic Lodge and was very active in the furtherance of every interest, pertaining to the prosperity of the lodge. The mother was born in Bledsoe County and died in May 1883, in Cook County, Tex. Dr. Bell received his literary education principally at Sequatchie College in Bledsoe County, where he graduated in the mathematical and English course of study, He is also a graduate of the medical department of the University of Nashville and the Vanderbilt University. At each of those institutions of learning he acquitted himself in a highly creditable manner, taking rank with the best of the students in attendance. After attending his first course of lectures he located at Dayton, Tenn., where he remained but a short time. He was at Coulterville two years and then moved to Soddy in June 1883 and has been quite successful as a practitioner. Dr. Bell is a young man, but his prospects seem very bright for the future. He married E. L. Abel, of Dayton, Tenn., daughter of Perry and Mary Abel. The Doctor is a descendant of purely Irish ancestry. Mrs. Bell is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and of Dutch descent. The Doctor is a Democrat and a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887 .
Berlin, Dr. Henry
Dr. H. Berlin is the son of H. and C. H. (Peters) Berlin, both natives of Mecklenburg, Germany, where they now live. The father was a farmer and manufacturer of fishing tackle. Of their family of two children our subject was the youngest. He was born May 8, 1851, also in Mecklenburg, Germany, and secured his education, both literary and professional in his native country. After practicing medicine there for two years he came to the United States in 1879 and located in Chattanooga. He was for a time engaged in the general practice of medicine, but of late years has devoted his entire energy to surgery and female diseases, wishing to familiarize himself more with the ideas and practice of the profession in this department he became a student at the University of Tennessee. In 1875 he married Miss Mary Von Podewils, of Germany, by whom he has two children, Charlotte and Henry. The Doctor is a correspondent for several medical journals on subjects pertaining to the profession and science. He is a member of both State and county medical societies, being vice-president of the latter. He is a Mason, and a member of the K. of P. Mrs. Dr. Berlin is a member of the. Episcopal Church. Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
Bickerdyke, Mrs. Mary A.
Mrs. Mary A. Bickerdyke, philanthropist and army nurse, born near Mount Vernon, Knox County, Ohio, 19th July. 1817.
She is the daughter of Hiram and Anna Ball. The mother died when Mary was only seventeen months old. The little one was reared by her grandparents. Her grandsire was a Revolutionary soldier named Rogers and a descendant of the Rogers who landed on Plymouth Rock.
While young, she was married to Mr. Bickerdyke, and in a few years was left a widow, with helpless little ones to rear. When the Civil War came, she left home and loved ones to offer her services as nurse to the soldiers, who were dying by scores for lack of food and care.
When the supplies to the army were sent from Galesburg to Cairo, Mrs. Bickerdyke accompanied them as delegate. After the battle of Belmont she was assigned as nurse to the field hospital.
Fort Donelson brought her in sight of battle for the first time. She obtained supplies sometimes by visiting the North and superintending fairs, by a simple note to a pastor at sermon time, and by her famous "cow and hen " mission, by which she furnished the wounded soldiers with a hundred cows and a thousand hens, to provide fresh dainties for the sufferers.
During the winter of 1863-64 she made a short visit home, and returned and took part in the establishment of Adams Block Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee. This accommodated about 6,000 men, and from this she became the matron of Gayoso Hospital, in which were more than 700 wounded men brought in from Sherman’s battle of Arkansas Post.
She took charge in Memphis, Tennessee, of a small pox hospital and cleaned and renovated it with her own hands, when nine men lay dead with the disease.
Through the battles at Vicksburg, Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge and Chattanooga Mrs. Bickcrdyke nursed friend and foe alike, and when, in 1864, Sherman started on his memorable March to the Sea, always devoted to the Army of the Tennessee, "Mother" Bickerdyke, as the soldiers used to call her, accompanied the 100,000 men who marched away.
Resaca, Kingston, New Hope, Cassville, Allatoona, Dallas and Kenesaw Mountain furnished her with 13.000 of those brave men as subjects for her care.
When Sherman cut his base of supplies, Mrs. Bickerdyke went to the North and collected immense sanitary stores for the soldiers.
When Sherman entered Savannah, she sailed for the South, to take care of the liberated Union prisoners at Wilmington.
At Beaufort, Averysboro and Bentonville she pursued her mission, and at the request of General Logan and the 15th Army Corps she marched into Alexandria with the army.
At the final review in Washington Mrs. Bickerdyke, mounted upon a saddle-horse, dressed in a simple calico dress and sun-bonnet, accompanied the troops. This dress and bonnet were sold as relics of the war for $100.
Since the rebellion Mrs. Bickerdyke has spent her life in procuring homes and pensions for the "boys." She resides with her son. Prof. Bickerdyke, in Russell, Kansas.
American Women – Volume I
Biese, Charles W.
Charles W. Biese, secretary and treasurer of the Lookout Ice and Cold Storage Company, of Chattanooga, was born in Holstein, Germany, November 8. 1835; came to the United States in 1860 and located at Chicago, where, in 1861, he enlisted in the Federal Army, serving through grades of private, sergeant, lieutenant and captain in the Eighty-Second Illinois Regiment until 1865. He then opened one of the first coal mines in this locality which he operated three years. He was then connected with Cherokee Mining & Manufacturing Company, and later was connected with the Georgia Coal Company. In 1869 he assisted in building bridges and trestles on the Great Southern Railroad, Alabama. Later he engaged in the same business with the Alabama Grand Trunk Railroad, with office at Mobile, Ala. and was engaged in the commission business for two years. In 1875 he returned to this place and engaged in the agricultural implement business which he lately sold to his son Robert and a Mr. Dickinson. In 1883 Mr. Biese had a company formed to engage in the manufacture of artificial ice but owing to competition it proved a failure. In 1884 he again formed a company of which the present company is the outcome and of which he is secretary. In 1864 he married Narcissa H. McDonald, of Dade County, Ga., who died in 1873, leaving four children, all of whom are living. In 1875 he married his present wife, Miss Eliza A. Pryor, of Jasper, Tenn., who has presented him with two sons, only one living. Mr. Biese is a Republican, a Knight of Labor, a Mason, and a member of the G. A. R., was Post Commander of Lookout Post, No. 2, during 1886. He is also a member of the K. of P., K. of H., and of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, of which he is a steward.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887 Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
Billmeyer, U. D.
U. D. Billmeyer, D. D. S., whose birth occurred March 14, 1853, is a son of Joseph and Margaret (Carnahan) Billmeyer, who were born, reared and married in Pennsylvania. After living in that State for some time they then moved to Michigan about 1852. In early life the father was a contractor and builder and later a farmer and fruit grower. Both are living in Michigan at the present time. Of their family of seven children our subject is the eldest. He graduated in the Michigan State Normal School in 1876, and, after teaching a year, entered the dental department of Michigan University, completing the course in 1879. The following year he accepted the position of demonstrator of operative dentistry in the same institution, which position he held in a highly creditable manner four years. On account of failing health, he was obliged to resign his position in the middle of a session. In 1884 he came to Chattanooga, and, without the assistance of relatives or friends, succeeded in building up an excellent practice. In 1882 Miss Lida Wallace, a native of Michigan, became his wife. They are both members of the Methodist Church. He is a member of the East Tennessee Dental Association, is a Royal Arch Mason and president of the Union Wood Dish Co.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887
Samuel Blair, of Chattanooga, was born in Harrison County, Ky., December 2, 1816, where he was reared and educated. In 1840 he went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and engaged in the ice business, and is still a member of the Cincinnati Ice Company. He came to Chattanooga in 1883, and a year later organized the Lookout Ice Company of which he has been principal stockholder and president. In December 1886, the company began the erection of cold storage warehouses, and have changed the name to Lookout Ice and Cold Storage Company, with increased capital. In April 1843 he was united in marriage to Miss Mary A. Lafferty, of Cincinnati, Ohio. The fruits of this union were five living children-three sons and two daughters. Mr. Blair is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, a member of the I. O. O. F., also of the encampment of the I. O. O. F. and is a Democrat in politics. He is an honest and well-respected citizen. He has lately organized a stock company of $50,000 and is now boring for natural gas and oil in Hamilton County, Tenn., near Suck Creek.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887.