William Fryar

Bill Fryar Fatally Hurt

A runaway team - He is thrown to the ground and is still unconscious.

William (Bill) Fryar, a well-known citizen of this county, residing about two and a half miles below Wauhatchie on the Lookout Creek, is at his home in a precarious condition and his life has been despaired.

When the circuit court met Mr. Fryar was selected as one of the jurymen coming from the Fourth District. He would drive to the city in the morning returning home after the adjournment of court in the afternoon.

Tuesday night he started home driving a spirited horse. Before reaching his own home he passed the place of John Cummings, Jr. who resides near Wauhatchie. On this particular evening Cummings heard the buggy coming up the road and it occurred to him that the horse was running away. Fryar could be heard calling to his horse to stop. Presently he ceased to call out and the horse came dashing up the road without a driver. The animal was stopped by some boys who can into the road to ascertain what was the matter.

Upon further investigation Mr. Fryar was found 300 yards up the road lying on the side of the road, having been thrown from the buggy by the terrified horse. He was carried to his home a short distance off, and up to yesterday afternoon had not regained consciousness. He is being attending by Dr. Bryant.

Mr. Cummings said yesterday that the case was a singular one. The buggy was not overturned nor was it damaged in the least.

The Daily Times, Saturday, September 1887.


William Fryar

    An old citizen of this county died yesterday of his injuries. William Fryar of Wauhatchie died yesterday morning at 9 o'clock.

    He will be remembered that he was one of the jurymen at the present term of the circuit court during the trial of the criminal docket. While en route to his home near Wauhatchie about a month and a half ago, his horse ran away. Be was thrown out of the buggy, falling in the road on his head, fracturing his skull. He seemingly recovered from the injury but a few days ago took a relapse and had been sinking every since.

“Bill” Fryar as he was known, was one of Hamilton County's substantial farmers. He was born and raised near Wauhatchie and accumulated a great deal of property. Mr. Fryar was 45 years of age and reared a large family. The remains will be interred this morning at 10 o'clock at the family cemetery.

The Daily Times, November 3, 1897