Fryar Family Part
Of Chattanooga History
THE MARKET STREET BRIDGE IN 1916
WAS PART OF NEWTON FRYAR'S EQUIPMENT
When the major project of spanning the Tennessee River with a bridge at Market Street was underway in 1916, a number of local contractors were involved.
They included the Newton Fryar Transfer and Construction Company. This firm hauled the fill dirt for the projects.
The Newton Fryar Transfer and Construction Company was located on Whiteside (South Broad) Street, then it moved to Main and Cowart Streets.
Newton Fryar married Mary Elizabeth Hixson, a member of the Hixson family from North Hamilton County.
Elmo Fryar, a son of Newton Fryar, was involved in hauling construction materials in his own trucks for Scholze Tannery, Vulcan Materials, Brown Brothers and other firms for many years.
He is now in retirement, but he still works on occasions for Dixie Sand and Gravel.
Elmo Fryar married Mary Belle Trower of Chattanooga. Her father was a railroad worker here.
Press Sunday March 23, 1980
Submitted by June