Brakeman W. T. Henegar Loses His Life.


Well-Known Employe of the C., R. & S., and a Resident of This City.


W(illiam). T(homas). Henegar, 19 years of age, a brakeman in the employ of the Chattanooga, Rome and Southern railway, and the son of Thomas H. Henegar, a switchman in the employ of the Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis railway, residing at 14 West Montgomery avenue, was killed at about 8:45 o’clock last night at a point one-fourth of a mile north of Rossville, Ga., by being crushed and mangled under the wheels of a work train. The particulars of this sad affair are as follows:



Henegar had been in the employ of the Chattanooga, Rome and Southern railway for a period of two years, long enough to become a brakeman of some experience. Yesterday he left the city as one of the crew of a work train consisting of nineteen or twenty gondolas, caboose and engine, in charge of Conductor Young, which was engaged in repairing the line and hauling ballast at points below Rossville. Everything went well during the day, and up to the time that the train reached Rossville, at

8:30 o’clock last night, on its return to the yards near Montgomery avenue, after the day’s work.


When the train reached Rossville, and was passing at a high rate of speed through that hamlet, Henegar, who was in the caboose, took up his lantern and started up the long line of gondolas for the locomotive cab, where his presence would be needed on reaching this city. He never reached the engine.



When the work train reached the city Engineer Kennedy inquired of Conductor Young for Henegar, and the latter, in utter amazement, replied that he had left the caboose for the engine at Rossville. In short, it did not take the crew long to discover that Henegar was missing. So uncoupling the engine, Engineer Kennedy and Conductor Young went back over the line in search of Henegar. The engine proceeded slowly and at 9 o’clock they found the lad’s remains, mangled, crushed and shattered past recognition, lying on the track a few hundred feet north of the Tennessee line.



No one witnessed the tragedy, and the manner in which he came to his death can only be inferred. When he started to the locomotive the train was running at a high rate of speed, and it is supposed that in the darkness, and by the light of his

lantern, Henegar in jumping, or stepping, from car to car, either slipped, made a false step, or lost his balance, and falling between the cars, was crushed and killed under the wheels. The remains were brought in on the engine, and sent to Sharp’s

morgue where they are being prepared for burial.



Henegar was a lad whom everyone liked. He was popular, thrifty and honest. He was a single man, and in addition to father and mother leaves two sisters, Miss Eliza Henegar and another who married recently, and one brother, Johnny Henegar, 15 years of age, who is employed as call boy in the yards of the Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis railway.

The Daily Times: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Tuesday April 24, 1900. Page 5.



Submitted by David Allen Witt