Bay is now part of the area that was once the site of the first permanent county
seat of Hamilton County. Old Dallas occupied a reservation made by Fox Taylor, a
Cherokee, under the treaty of 1819. The town of Dallas was laid out and a post
office established there in 1822. It was named for Alexander J. Dallas, and
remained the seat of Hamilton County until 1840 when it was moved to Harrison.
Old Dallas is located about fifteen miles north of Chattanooga on Hixson Pike.
Dallas, as it is now called, because it is not any longer a town, was started
about 1830. Asahel Rawlings had a store there about this time and was the first
postmaster, having been appointed in 1822, when the place was named Hamilton
Court House. In 1840 the town was in its prime, having then two or three stores,
about half a dozen houses and a few cabins, a blacksmith shop, a good
hotel and a population of about sixty. When the county seat was moved to
Harrison in 1840 Dallas soon declined. Asahal Rawlings was appointed postmaster
at Hamilton Court House, May 11, 1822. The name was changed to Dallas, February
20, 1833; the post office was discontinued March 23, 1846; was re-established
June 29, 1848; was again discontinued October 2, 1849; was again re-established
September 4, 1866, and finally discontinued September 13, 1872. Since Mr.
Rawlings, the postmasters have been Aaron M. Rawlings, appointed July 24,1833;
Samuel S. M. Doak, July 21, 1836; James S. Yarnall, March 21, 1837; Samuel T.
Izen, May 27, 1837; Thomas Stiff, October 26, 1838; Albert W. Boddo, May 1,
1844; George R. Cannon, December 3, 1845; Clinton A. Jones, June 29, 1848; John
H. Bradfield, September 4, 1866; Daniel B. Brayfield, November 4, 1869.
Goodspeed's "History of Tennessee" 1887
Photo Courtesy of Phebe Morgan