SCHOOLS IN THE SNOW HILL AREA
Phebe Morgan
phebem@comcast.net

 

 

 

The earliest school in the Snow Hill area was the Frog-Level-Trickum school.  Located at what is now Greenwood Road and Island Point Road.  The name is partly derived from the creek that runs through the property Frog Level Creek.  The land was donated by the Padgett family and additionally used as a church. 

 

            A one room school was located where the Cross Roads Baptist Church now stands (Ooltewah-Georgetown and Mahan Gap Road). 

 

            The James County Board of Education purchased 5 acres for a nominal price at the corner of Mahan Gap and Snow Hill Road after 1900.  Cross Roads and Frog-Level-Trickum were consolidated into Snow Hill.  At that time a frame school house was built.  One of the first teachers was F. T. (Flauvous) Hoge.  The frame building remained until a brick building was built in 1925. 

 

          

           

 

School House, 1937
SNOW HILL ELEMENTERY SCHOOL

 

 

The new Snow Hill Elementary opened in 1982 and is home of the Hawks. The current enrollment of approximately 569 students in grades PreK-5. Snow Hill is dedicated to creating a learning environment that will enable all students to solve problems, think critically, and achieve academic and social success. At Snow Hill, we strive to provide a community school of excellence which promotes character development and high expectation of academic achievement for all students in a positive, clean, and safe environment with the assistance and support of committed staff and parents.

 

 

 


http://www.hcschools.org/snowhill/index.html