Goodspeed's History of Hamilton County
Hamilton County was organized by act of the Legislature October 25, 1819, and was named in honor of Alexander Hamilton, secretary of the treasury, whom Aaron Burr killed in a duel. The topography of the county is extremely varied, being very mountainous in the northwest, the valley portion being about one-third of the whole area. The principal valleys are Tennessee, Lookout, Chattanooga, Chickamauga and Back. Tennessee River and its tributaries drain the county. The geological strata are found from the Knox dolomite to the carboniferous period. Coal caps the highest elevations. Iron ore is also found in extensive quantities.
It is doubtless true that the first settlers were Scotchmen, who located here among the Indians very soon after the Revolution. Among the names preserved are Ross, McNair, McCoy, Coody, Martin, Taylor, Adair, Lourie, McPherson and McDonald. The most of these men married Indian wives, and became incorporated into the Cherokee Nation. John Ross was the son of the first mentioned by an Indian wife, and became a chief of the Cherokees. At the time the county was organized the population was 821, of whom 766 were whites. Among the first settlers were Patrick Martin, William Lauderdale, Robert Patterson, Charles Gamble, Hasten Poe, Asahel Rawlings, Nimrod Pendergrass, James Smith, James Cozby, James Brown, Andrew Johnson, William McGill, John Hanna, John Brown, James Varner, Gilbert Vandegriff, George Williams, Nathan Shipley, Preston Gann, George Sawyers, John Russell, Henry Rogers, Elisha Rogers, David Beck, Jacob Hartman, Hugh, David and James Cunningham, Thomas Shirley, Daniel Sciveley and many others were early settlers in the early part of this century. Walden's Ridge was named for John Walling who was killed by the Indians. The name has since been corrupted to Walden's or Wallen's Ridge. A grant of 20,000 acres in Hamilton County was made to Stockley Donelson, by North Carolina, but the boundaries described contained nearly 150,000 acres. When many of the first settlers arrived they found the land occupied by the Cherokees, who to a great degree had been subdued.
In 1779 the Shelby and Montgomery expedition against the Cherokees was made, resulting very disastrously to the Indians of the present Hamilton County. Their villages and fields were laid waste, and they were dispersed to the mountains. This was the expedition that carried back such glowing accounts of the country below Knox County to the settlements northeast of the present Knoxville.
In 1782 Gen. Sevier, with a large body of men, fought the Indians, commanded by Wynca, on Lookout Mountain, defeating them badly. This battle above the clouds was earlier than the one on the same mountain by Gen. Hooker. In 1788 Gen. Martin fought the second, also badly defeating the natives. After 1819 the Indians were removed to the south side of the river. In 1838 the south side was also taken from them, and they were removed west of the Mississippi. Missionary Ridge or Mission Ridge, as it is sometimes called, was named from the circumstance that the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions had sent out to the Cherokees pious missionaries. The first mission was established in 1817. Revs. Cyrus Kingsbury, Ainsworth E Blunt and John Vail were the first. "Brainerd" was the name of the first mission. Rev. Loring S Williams and Moody Hall came about the same time. Dwellings, schoolhouses, mills, etc., were built.
The postoffice at Rossville was established in 1827, James Coody being commissioned postmaster. The first sessions of the court of pleas and quartersessions were held at the house of Hasten Poe, next at the house of John Mitchell, then at Dallas, the first county seat. In 1840 the court was removed to Vann's Town, and soon afterward to Harrison, where it remained until 1870, when it was taken to Chattanooga, following in each instance the county seat. The total cost of the courthouse at Chattanooga including ground, bell, clock, furniture, fence grading, etc., was $64,625. The new jail was completed in 1881 at a cost of $33,530.83 including the lot. The records of the county and city of Chattanooga were destroyed during the war. The court records are missing prior to 1865. Since that date the county and city courts are very efficient and strong.
The present site of Chattanooga was formerly Ross's Landing. It took its name from the Scotchman, Ross, or his descendants, and had an early existence, but did not come into notice until the place began to become a salt market for the salt works far up the river in Virginia. It became a salt market for a large section of country, to the south and east. This trade first brought the landing into notice, and gradually a small hamlet arose there, and finally in 1838 lots were laid out and offered for sale. It was not until 1838 that the whites could acquire titles to the lands there. The salt came down the river from King's Salt Works in Virginia. In 1838, 1500 barrels of salt were sold here at an average price of $8 per barrel. In 1836 the military post was established here, looking to the removal of the Indians two years later. This new tract of land became known as the Ocoee District, and the land office was at Cleveland. Pre-emption rights were given all those who had already made improvements. The town was named Chattanooga upon being laid out, but the meaning of the name is uncertain, though the origin is doubtless from the Indians. In 1839 the town was incorporated as such, and in 1851 was chartered as a city. In the thirties the project of uniting Cincinnati and Charleston, SC, with a railroad was discussed. This finally bought a road from the south to Chattanooga in 1849. At this time the city was a brisk commercial point, and was steadily growing. About 1850 the road to Nashville was completed. These and the Alabama Railroad, which reached Chattanooga over other tracks, and the railroad to Knoxville, gave the city a big boom. In 1858 the road westward to Memphis was built, and in 1879 the city was connected with Cincinnati. In 1856 Chattanooga had become so large that the principal business of the county centered here, but the county seat still remained at Harrison. In 1858 the law court of Chattanooga was created with John C Gaut, judge. A chancery court was also created with T Nixon Van Dyke, chancellor. But these courts were formed only for the convenience of Chattanooga, and were merged into the chancery and circuit courts of the county, respectively, when the county seat was removed from Harrison to Chattanooga in 1870. The great growth of Chattanooga has taken place mainly since the war, and is due to its location among the coal and the iron fields. Capitalists from abroad have come in and built foundries, factories and furnaces, and opened coal and iron mines. Now the city is one of the most active, commercial points in the country. Saw mills, furnaces, foundries, machine shops, pump works, tanneries, brick yards, plow factories, marble works, stove shops, furniture factories, boiler works, ice factories, flouring-mills, lumber yards, etc., are among the present occupations. The early banks were as follows: Bank of Chattanooga, Bank of Tennessee, Branch of the State Union Bank and the Lookout Savings Bank. Later and present banks are City National Bank, Discount and Deposit Bank, Mechanics and Traders Bank, First National Bank, Branch of the Freedman's Savings Bank, Third National and City Savings Bank. In 1878, 366 persons died in the city, of yellow fever. In 1882-83, 334 persons died in the city, of small-pox.
The Chattanooga Gazette was founded in 1837 by F A Parham, and was then called the Hamilton Gazette. Among other papers have been the Daily Republican, Daily American Union, Daily Rebel, Daily Herald, Advertiser, Times, Commercial Methodist Advocate, Baptist Reflector, Sunday Argus, Tradesman and others.
The Chattanooga Orphan's Home was established in 1878, the YMCA in 1876, the Associated Charities in 1881, and the Steele Home for colored children in 1884. The population of Chattanooga is now about 30,000.
Coulterville, Sale Creek, Soddy, Daisy, Melville, Cave Spring Station, Hixson, King's Point, Boyce, Dallas, Harrison, Tyner, Chickamauga, Fairmont, Summertown, Wauhatchie and others, are small towns of the county. The military history of the county is so thoroughly treated of in other chapters, that it will be omitted here.
The early schools were private institutions. Aldehoff's Institute, on the top of Lookout Mountain, four miles from "The Bald," was a noted institution in ante bellum days. Late in the decade of the sixties the common school system was established in this county under the act of March, 1867. E O Tade became first county superintendent. Slowly and steadily this system has grown into popularity, prominence and power. The scholastic population in 1876 was 4890, and in 1886 it was 11,661. Under the four-mile law the following schools have been established: Poe Spring Academy, Pleasant Grove Seminary, Soddy Preparatory and High School, and Bethlehem Academy. In 1872 the Chattanooga High School for girls was established. Chattanooga University was first designed in 1871 by the Methodist Episcopal Conference. The institution was finally built early in the eighties, the first term opening in September, 1886. Rev. E S Lewis was the first president. All these educational institutions, together with the excellent public school system, give abundant facilities to the youth of Hamilton County for acquiring a liberal education.
The missions established in the county at an early date are the first religious movements in the county of which there is any record. They were successful, because in the hands of determined and able Christian workers, sent out by that famous institution of religious learning and zeal --- the Andover Theological Seminary of Massachusetts. The Cumberland Presbyterians began organizing societies about 1841. The Methodists started into life about the same time. There were, doubtless, country societies in the county before this, but nothing is now known of them. The Christian Church did not find a footing in the county until about 1850. The Jews have been organized at Chattanooga for several years. The Episcopalians are comparatively recent. The Baptist Churches date back about forty years.
In accordance with the provisions of the act for the incorporation of the city the first election was held on the last Thursday of December, 1851, and the board then chosen organized on January 5, 1852. Following are the names of the mayor and board of aldermen then organized: Mayor, Milo Smith; aldermen: First Ward --- Larkin Hair, N B Parham; Second Ward --- John P Long, J J Bryan; Third Ward --- Robert Cravens, William Crutchfield; Fourth Ward --- D C McMillin, John A Hooke.
The following is a complete list of the mayors elected under this charter: In 1853, Henry W Massengale; 1854, William Williams; 1855, E G Pearl; 1856, D C McMillin; 1857, W D Fulton; 1858, W S Bell; 1859, Thomas Crutchfield, Sr.; 1860, Charles E Grenville; 1861, J C Warner; 1862, Milo Smith; 1863, Milo Smith. The Federal Army took possession of the city in September, 1863, and as a consequence, the operations of the civil government were interrupted until October, 1865, when the following officers were elected: Mayor, Richard Henderson; board of aldermen: First Ward ---- A Bohr, A Kesterson; Second Ward ---- J Mann, J DeBeck; Third Ward ---- William Crutchfield, T R Stanley; Fourth Ward ---- Jacob Kunz, D Hogan. The other mayors under this charter were Charles E Lewis, elected in 1866; D C Carr, in 1867 and also in 1868.
Marshals: Thomas McMinn, 1852-54; N P Nail, 1855; Philip Simmerman, 1856-57; John J Lowry, 1858-59; Jesse B Allison, 1860-63; R H Croft, 1869; Jesse B Allison, 1870; Charles Howell, 1871; N W Wilbur, 1872; J J Lowry, 1874; D M Doty, 1876; J J Lowry, 1877; E Balch, 1878; J J Lowry, 1879-80; N W Wilbur, 1881-82; ___ Schwartz, 1885.
Recorders: Richard Henderson, 1852; John W Ford, 1853; Daniel R Rawlings, 1854; D C McMillin, 1855; Daniel R Rawlings, 1856; William R Rogers, 1857-59; John P Long, 1860-63.
Mayors: 1868, A J Sharpe. 1869, W P Rathburn, 925; all others, 12. 1870, W P Rathburn, 963; B S Nicklin, 152; J J McGlohon, 408. 1871, John T Wilder, 1002; Thomas Webster, 812. 1872, E M Wight, 662; P Foster, 568; R Henderson, 179. 1873, P D Sims. 1874, John W James, 1025; S A Key, 808. 1875, Tomlinson Fort. 1876, E M Wight, 971; J H Ragsdale, 847. 1877, T J Carlile, 1121; W J Colburn, 1002. 1878, J T Hill, 1134; John A Hart, 994. 1879, H F Temple, 1113; J C Stanton, 982. 1880, John A Hart, 1249; M J O'Brien, 1127. 1881, H C Evans, 1523; M J O'Brien, 1003. 1882, H C Evans, 1809; J T Shipp, 1188. 1883, Hugh Whiteside, elected for two years. 1885, A G Sharp, 1808; Clift, 1696; Dean, 100.
Marshals: 1869, R H Kroft, 489; A G McLemore, 442. 1870, Jesse B Allison, 474; J R Slayton, 276; R H Kroft, 272. 1871, Charles Howell, 920; B B Bell, 437; J O Farmer, 323. 1872, N W Wilbur, 968; J J Lowry, 680. 1874, J J Lowry, 1018; D C Howell, 806. 1876, D M Doty, 926; J J Lowry, 890. 1877, J J Lowry, 1090; W Friedman, 1033. 1878, E Balch, 1093; J J Conway, 1005. 1879, J J Lowry, 776; J A Allen, 744; C G Davis, 507. 1880, J J Lowry, 1251; W P Dale, 1107. 1881, N W Wilbur, 1292. 1882, N W Wilbur, 1775; J J Lowry, 1215. 1885, Schwartz, 1835; Key, 1657; Woodworth, 103.
The secret organizations in Chattanooga are so numerous that a history of each one can not well be given in accordance with the plan of this work. A list of them, however, is here introduced. Of the A L of H, there is the Chickamauga Council. Of the A O U W, Benefit Lodge, No. 6; of F L Lookout Camp, No. 33; of the G A R Lookout Post, No. 2; Mission Ridge Post, no. 45, and Chickamauga Post, No. 22 (colored); I O O F, Chattanooga Lodge, No. 45, and Guttenburg Lodge, No. 158; K of H, Schiller Lodge, No. 158; K of L, Lookout Assembly, No. 2270, Eureka Assembly, No. 4375 (colored), Central Assembly, No. 5589, Phoenix Assembly, No. 5726, and McDevitt Assembly, No. 6883; K of P, Damon Lodge, No. 2, Keystone Lodge, No. 35, Endowment Rank Section, No. 337, and Uniform Rank, Anchor Division, No. 3. Masons ---- Lookout Commandery, No. 14, K T; Hamilton Chapter, No. 49, R A M; Chattanooga Lodge, No. 199, F & A M; Temple Lodge, No. 430, F & A M; Royal Arcanum, Chattanooga Council, No. 137. The S of T are represented by the Chattanooga Division, No. 111; U O G C, Chattanooga Commandery, No. 77. Colored organizations: P G M Council, G U O F; Eagle Star Lodge, No. 1777, G U O F; Xenophon Lodge, No. 1995, G U O F; Household of Ruth, No. 121; Lookout Lodge, No. 10; Phoenix Lodge, No. 14, F & A M; Mount Moriah Lodge, No. 21, F & A M. The Confederate Veterans have N B Forest Camp, C V No. 3, organized September 1, 1885.
There are in Chattanooga the City Cemetery, Forest Hills Cemetery, the Hebrew Cemetery and the Catholic Cemetery.
The postoffice at Chattanooga was established at Ross' Landing, with John P Long as postmaster, March 22, 1837. The name was changed to Chattanooga November 14, 1838. John P Long remained postmaster until October 4, 1845, on which day David J Carr was appointed. Since Mr. Carr's term the following have been postmasters: William F Ragsdale, appointed April 9, 1852; Henry T Phillips, July 15, 1853; James R Hood, March 27, 1861; E A James, July 18, 1865; Robert S Kendrick, April 5, 1869; Samuel Bard, December 12, 1872; Robert S Kendrick, March 20, 1873; William T Cate, March 2, 1875; Thomas Taylor, July 3, 1876; John T Wilder, July 17, 1877; Harry F Griscom, March 29, 1882, and George W Martin, July 15, 1885. The postoffice became presidential February 21, 1856, and the letter-carrier service was established September 1, 1883.
The Federal Cemetery contains seventy-five and one-half acres. On the cannon near the entrance is the following inscription: "United States National Military Cemetery, Chattanooga, established 1863; interments, 12,876; known, 7947; unknown, 4929." Since this inscription was made additional interments have been made to the number of about 100, so that the entire number is now 12,983; the known being 8020, divided among the States as follows: Alabama, 38; Connecticut, 20; Georgia, 11; Illinois, 1088; Indiana, 1317; Iowa, 185; Kansas, 53; Kentucky, 368; Maryland, 2; Maine, 1; Massachusetts, 73; Michigan, 488; Minnesota, 105; Missouri, 159; New York, 343; New Jersey, 32; Ohio, 1798; Pennsylvania, 197; Rhode Island, 2; Tennessee, 137; Wisconsin, 237; West Virginia, 3; United States Regulars, 203; colored soldiers, 866; employes, 14; pioneers, 5; signal corps, 3; miscellaneous, 272. The total number of unknown is 4963, the largest number being the "miscellaneous" class, 4830.
The grand gateway over the road leading from Montgomery Avenue into this cemetery was completed about February 1, 1880. The archway from the base to the top of the blocking is about 32 feet, the arch, itself, being 19 1/2 feet high and the opening 10 1/2 feet wide. Above the keystone of the arch, on the outside, is the inscription: "National Military Cemetery, Chattanooga, 1863." On the inside in a similar position is the following: "Here rest in peace 12,956 citizens, who died for their country from 1861 to 1865."
Since the war the members of the Legislature from Hamilton County have been as follows:
Senators ---- A M Cate, 1865 and 1867; A A Pearson, 1869; E A James, 1873; L S Marye, 1875; R P Lloyd, 1877; John R Neal, 1879; J L Gaston, 1881; H L W Raulston, 1883; H B Case, 1885.
Representatives ---- James R Hood, 1865; John Anderson, 1866 and 1867; E A James, 1869; C C Patton, 1873; George R James, 1875; S A Key, 1877; H M Wiltse, 1879 and 1881; H B Case and Peter Bolton, 1883; W C Hodge and T H Davis, 1885.
Following is the presidential vote in Hamilton County from 1868 to 1884 inclusive: 1868 ---- Ulysses S Grant, 1273; Horatio Seymour, 393. 1872 ---- Grant, 1630; Horace Greeley, 1098. 1876 ---- Rutherford B Hayes, 1888; Samuel J Tilden, 1613. 1880 ---- James A Garfield, 2460; W S Hancock, 1595; J B Weaver, 117. 1884 ---- James G Blaine, 3829; Grover Cleveland, 2439.
Gubernatorial vote: March 4, 1865, W G Brownlow, 705, no opposition. 1867 ---- W G Brownlow, 1480; Emerson Etheridge, 302. 1869 ---- D W C Senter, ----; ----- Stokes, ----. 1870 ---- W H Wisener, 1364; J C Brown, 1171. 1872 ---- A A Freeman, 1602; J C Brown, 1161. 1874 ---- Horace Maynard, 1155; James D Porter, 1145. 1876 ---- George Maney, ----; James D Porter, 1627; Dorsey B Thomas, 1086; W F Yardley, ----. 1878 ---- E M Wight, 1103; A S Marks, 711; R M Edwards, 43. 1880 ---- Alvin Hawkins, 2440; John V Wright, 1428; S F Wilson, 346; R M Edwards, 114. 1882 ---- Alvin Hawkins, 2385; William B Bate, 1633; Joseph H Fussell, 39; John R Beasley, 22. 1884 ---- Frank T Reid, 4263; William B Bate, 2366; W J Buchanan, ----. 1886 ---- Robert L Taylor, 2381; Alfred A Taylor, 3581.
Following is a list of the principal county officers from 1820 to 1876, since which time the election returns are obtainable and are introduced in connection with most officers' names:
Asahel Roger's name is signed as county court clerk to the first deed registered after the county was organized, to which he also affixed his "Privet seal," not having an official seal at the office that day, March 1, 1821. Asahel Rogers remained in this office until 1844, when he was succeeded by William T Rogers. Subsequent clerks have been R Henderson, 1847; James Clift, 1848; John H Robertson, November, 1848-56; George W Arnett, 1856-60; Charles W Vinson, 1860-64; R H Guthrie, 1864-70; J R Hardie, 1870-74; L M Clark, from 1874 to present time (1886).
Sheriffs ---- Charles Gamble, Terrill Riddle, A M Rogers, Matthew Anderson, John Johnson, J C Francis, James Roddy, James C Conner, William Snow, Milo Coulter, G W Rider, A B Connor, William H Bean, J C Conner, Charles B Champion. The sheriffs collected the taxes up to 1840. From that time to 1877 there served the following as ----
Tax collectors ---- James Rogers, Newton McGill, A Selcer, Joseph Yarnell, W H Bean, M Adams and D B Ragsdale.
Trustees ---- Thomas Stiff, William Rogers, Alfred King, A P Hunter, George W Julian, Jesse Locke, W H Crowder, George Curry, F Vaughn.
Registers ---- J H Jones, 1819; James S Yarnell, 1836; A G W Puckett, 1840; Resin M Rawlings, 1842; John H Torbett, 1843; A A Vinson, 1844; J B Peters, 1853; A W Moore, 1860; John F Hamill, 1868; H C Beck, from 1874 to the present time.
Circuit court clerks ---- Daniel Henderson, Dr. P H Butler, B C Conner, B B Cannon, A G W Puckett, E A Glass, William Rogers, C W Vinson.
The first surveyor of Hamilton County was Samuel R Russell, who served from 1824 to 1828. He was followed by John Cummings from 1828 to 1830; B B Cannon, 1830-37; Noble J Tounnel, a short time in 1837; Robet Tumall, 1837-47; Alexander T Prowell, 1847-48; Presley R Lomenick, 1848-54; B F Clark, 1854-61; Presley R Lomenick, 1861, killed during the war; --- Lowe, first after the war, Robert L McNabb, Alfred Conner, James W Clift, R C McRee, Jr.; James Layman served five or six years; M E Dickens, six months in 1881; L B Headrick, from October, 1881, to January, 1882; A H Rogers from 1882 to the present time.
The year 1870 is the first for which it is practicable to give tolerably accurate election returns for this county. In August an election was held at which the following votes were cast: Chancellor ---- D M Key, 1032; D C Trewhitt, 806; John C Gaut, 128. Circuit court judge ---- John B Hoyl, 979; W L Adams, 939. Circuit court clerk ---- C W Vinson, 1131; Stults, 831. County judge ---- A G W Puckett, 1056; Blackford, 670; Rogers, 136. County clerk ---- Hardie, 1113; Guthrie, 928; Heaton, 72. Register ---- Long, 911; Hamill, 894; Moore, 77.
In 1872 the vote was as follows: Sheriff ---- Bean, Republican, 1591; Brown, Democrat, 953. Tax collector ---- Adams, Democrat, 1353; Carlile, Republican, 1277. Trustee ---- Crowder, Republican, 1477; Selcer, Democrat, 1114.
Hamilton County has been represented in the United States Senate by one of her citizens, David M Key, who was appointed to the seat made vacant by the death of Andrew Johnson, which occurred July 31, 1875, and in the Lower House of Congress by two of her sons --- Reese B Brabson 1859-61, and William Crutchfield 1873-75. Mr. Crutchfield was elected by a majority of 1029 in a district which had usually been Democratic by about 5000 majority, the vote of his opponent, D M Key, being 8921. With reference to this election it was said that in 1871 the voting population of the district was 28,476, while in 1872 when Mr. Crutchfield was elected, only 19,068 votes were cast, of which Mr. Crutchfield received 9950, Mr. Key 8921. There were therefore 9048 voters who did not vote, most of whom were whites. Mr. Crutchfield's success, therefore, was largely due to the colored men. His majority in Hamilton County was 301.
In 1876 the following votes were polled: For member of Congress ---- Dibrell, 1615; Drake, 1857. State senator --- Lloyd, 1624; Padgett, 1853. Floater --- Shepherd, 1693; Pryor, 1780. Representative --- 1744; Munger, 1735.
In 1878 the following was the vote: Chancellor --- Bradford, 1835; Mayfield, 1543. Circuit court judge -- Trewhitt, 2562; Hoyl, 1084; Northrup, 43. Attorney-general ---- Milburn, 1957; Spears, 1661. County judge --- McRee, Democrat, 1509; Headrick, Greenback, 680; Gowan, Republican, 1431. Sheriff ---- Rogers, Democrat, 1601; Springfield, Republican, 1859; Conner, 233. Circuit court clerk ---- R M Tankesley, Democrat, 2076; C W Vinson, Republican, 1587. County court clerk ---- Jones, Democrat, 1380; L M Clark, Republican, 2326. Trustee ---- Ragsdale, Democrat, 1662; Gahagan, Republican, 1910. Register ---- Coulter, Democrat, 1547; Beck, Republican, 1827; Catron, 222.
The Republican Congressional Convention for the Third District met August 17, 1880. Col. H B Case and G A Gowin were put in nomination, Col. Case receiving sixty-seven votes on the first ballot, thus becoming the nominee. The Democrats nominated G G Dibrell, and the Greenbackers John W James. In the election Dibrell received in Hamilton County 1509 votes, Case 2368 and James 250. In the entire district Dibrell received 12,806 votes, and Case 9918. For the rest of the officers, Hamilton County polled the following votes: Sheriff --- Springfield, Republican, 2262; Champion, Democrat, 1647. Trustee --- Gahaan, Republican, 2651; Rogers, Democrat, 1249. Floater ---- Moon, 1636; Kennedy, 2412; Welch, 114. Representative ---- Cowart, Democrat, 1478; Wiltse, Republican, 2354; Mannell, 311.
The voting population of Hamilton County in 1880 was 4172. In 1881, according to a careful census, it was as follows: In the First, Second, Third, Eighth and Sixteenth Districts, 987; in the Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Fifteenth and Seventeenth, 1479; in the Eleventh, 391; in the Twelfth, 447 --- total outside of Chattanooga, 3304. In Chattanooga it was: Whites, 2843; blacks, 1387 ---- total, 4230; and in the entire county, 7534, an increase in one year of 3362.
In 1882 the vote of the county was as follows: Sheriff ---- J E Conner, 1929; W T Cate, 2393. Circuit court clerk ---- R M Tankesley, 1901; A R Jones, 2319. County court clerk ---- W J Sawyer, 1273; L M Clark, 2994. Trustee ---- J H Poe, 1560; A Shelton, 2624. Register ---- W J Ingle, 1438; H C Beck, 2817. Member of Congress - Dibrell, 1521; Trewhitt, 2531; Parker, 7. State senator ---- Rankin, 1654; Roulston, 2353; Coppinger, 7. Representative ---- Woodard, 1658; Patterson, 1669; Case, 2284; Bolton, 2347; Gillespie, 6; Stokes, 9. In the Third Congressional District Dibrell;s vote was 11,403; Trewhitt's 9698. In 1884 the congressional vote in Hamilton County was for Neal, Democrat, 2249; H C Evans, Republican, 4392, while in the entire district Evans' vote was 14,221, and Neal's 14,289. In 1886 the congressional vote was for Neal, 2300; John T Wilder, Republican, 3655. Senator ---- Kennedy, Republican, 3332; Whitice, Democrat, 2632. Representative ---- Stone, Republican, 3485; Hutchins, Republican (colored), 2742; Drumbar, Democrat, 2734; Lloyd, Democrat, 2525. In the entire district Wilder's vote was 13,818; Neal's 14,115.
The first judges of the circuit court were Thomas Keith, George W Rowles and John C Gaut, the latter being the first to preside in this court since the war. The first records of this court are dated October 3, 1864, all previous to that time having been destroyed, the session being held at Harrison, with John C Gaut presiding.
The political complexion of the people of Hamilton County from 1832 to the breaking out of the civil war is shown by the following figures: Presidential vote, 1832, Andrew Jackson, 100. 1836, Martin Van Buren, 158; Hugh L White, 215. 1840, Martin Van Buren, 473; William Henry Harrison, 606. 1844, James K Polk, 624, Henry Clay, 644. 1848, Lewis Cass, 634; Zachary Taylor, 685. 1852, Franklin Pierce, 648; Winfield Scott, 774. 1856, James Buchanan 1051; Millard Fillmore, 1064. 1860, John C Breckinridge, 820; John Bell, 1074; Stephen A Douglas, 165. An examination of the above vote shows that while the two parties, Democratic and Whig, were sometimes very nearly equal in strength, yet the Whigs were uniformly in the majority. Following is the gubernatorial vote previous to the war: 1839, James K Polk, 436; Newton Cannon, 629. 1841, James K Polk, 560; James C Jones, 628. 1843, James K Polk, 621; James C Jones, 628. 1845, Aaron V Brown, 548; Ephraim H Foster, 613. 1847, Aaron V Brown, 721; Neill S Brown, 628. 1849, William Trousdale, 601; Neill S Brown, 750. 1851, William Trousdale, 601; William B Campbell, 885. 1853, Andrew Johnson, 972; Gustave A Henry, 786. 1855, Andrew Johnson, 1044; Meredith P Gentry, 966. 1857, Isham G Harris, 890; Robert Hatton, 959. 1859, Isham G Harris, 1056; John Netherland, 1121.
Following is a list of the members of the Legislature
from Hamilton County previous to the war: Senators ---- James Standifer, 1821;
John Billingsly, 1823; James Preston, 1825; James I Greene, 1829-31; Mills
Vernon, 1833-35; Richard Waterhouse, 1841; J M Anderson, 1843; Isaac Robertson,
1845; J M Anderson, 1847; James W Gillespie, 1851; John M Havron, 1853; J C
Burch, 1857; J A Minnis, 1859-61. Representatives ---- James C Mitchell, 1821;
Thomas Kelly, 1823-25; Thomas J Campbell, 1831-33; Joseph M Anderson, 1837;
William J Standifer, 1839; Daniel R Rawlings, 1841; James A Whiteside, 1845-47;
John M Havron, 1849-51; John C Burch, 1855; J W White, 1857; Daniel C Trewhitt,
Source: Page 932 - 938, Goodspeed's History of East Tennessee, 1884.