Samuel M. & Christina Robertson
Samuel M. CARR was born Abt. 1826 in TN, and died 08 Mar 1862 in Cumberland Ford, KY. He married Christina ROBERTSON, 28 Jan 1849 in Hamilton Co., TN. She was born Abt. 1822 in TN, and died 31 May 1864.
An interesting note
about the CARR/ROBERTSON marriage record is found in the following excerpt from
Christina (ROBERTSON) CARR 's "Widow's Claim For Pension."
Christina states that ". . . she was married to the said Samuel M. CARR in
Hamilton Co Tenn, on the 28 day of January A.D., 1849, by one Wm MAGILL, a
Justice of the Peace; that her name before her marriage was Christina ROBERTSON,
and that ever since the death of her said husband, she has remained a widow: as
will more fully appear by reference to the proof annexed. She also declares that
Hamilton Co Tennessee where the records of her marriage are is in rebellion
against the United States & in the possession of the rebels & that she
cannot provide? record evidence on this account."
1. John W. CARR, born 22 Nov 1849 in Hamilton Co., TN; died Bef. 1860 in Hamilton Co., TN.
2. Mary Jane CARR, born 16 Jul 1851 in Hamilton Co., TN; died 24 Dec 1923 in Wichita Falls, Wichita Co., TX. She married James C. POWELL, 06 Jun 1871 in Jefferson Co., IL.
3. William Marion CARR, born 28 Nov 1854 in Hamilton Co., TN.
4. Samuel M. CARR, born 03 Dec 1856 in Hamilton Co., TN; died Bef. 31 May 1864.
5. Sarah Eveline CARR, born 28 Mar 1859 in Hamilton Co., TN; died 07 Sep 1903 in Paris, Lamar Co., TX. She married George Washington VAUGHN, 26 Jul 1874 in Jefferson Co., IL; born 05 Sep 1837 in IL; died Jan 1913 in Ben Franklin, Delta Co., TX.
6. Melissa Adeline CARR, born 28 Mar 1859 in Hamilton Co., TN. She married William LEE Bef. 1877 in IL.
7. Melinda Lincoln CARR, born 27 Aug 1861. She married Arthur W. PATTEN, 25 Aug 1878 in Jefferson Co., IL.
(1) 1850 U.S. Census, Hamilton County, Tennessee (Harrison).
351/786 CARR, Sam, 24, mw, farmer, TN; CARR, Tina, 28, fw, TN; CARR, John, 01, mw, TN.
(2) 1860 U.S. Census, Hamilton County, Tennessee (District No. 11 - Sale Creek), p. 274. Date: 01 Aug 1860.
2031/2033 CARR, Sam'l, 27, mw, farming, $400/275, TN; CARR, Tena, 28, fw, TN; CARR, Mary, 07, fw, TN; CARR, William, 06, mw, TN; CARR, Sam'l, 02, mw, TN; CARR, Elizabeth, 01, fw, TN; CARR, Sarah, 01, fw, TN; REYNOLDS, Henry, 08, mw, TN.
(3) "Widow's Claim for Pension" of Christina (ROBERTSON) CARR, widow of Samuel M. CARR (Company I, 2nd Regiment of East Tennessee Volunteer Infantry: Pension No. 83,356). This document records that she was a former resident of 11th District of Hamilton County, Tennessee, and on 21 Apr 1863 when she signed this document, Christina CARR was residing at Nicholasville, Jessamine County, Kentucky.
(4) "Letters of Guardianship" granted to Isaac GARRISON, 23 Feb 1866, Mt. Vernon, Jefferson County, Illinois for Mary Jane CARR, William Marion CARR, Sarah E. CARR, Melissa A. CARR, and Melinda L. CARR.
(5) "Form of Declaration for Minor Children in order to obtain Army Pension" of Isaac GARRISON, guardian of surviving children of Samuel M. & Christina (ROBERTSON) CARR, deceased (Jefferson County, Illinois: 28 Feb 1866). In this document, Isaac GARRISON states, ". . . he was never guardian of said John W. and Saml M. CARR. They both died prior to death of the widow."
(6) "Guardian's Bond--Illinois" File of Isaac GARRISON, guardian of Mary Jane CARR, William Marion CARR, Sarah E. CARR, Melissa A. CARR, Melinda L. CARR. Circuit Clerk, Judicial Circuit #2, County of Jefferson, Mt. Vernon, IL 62864.
(7) Marriage records of Jefferson County, Illinois. Jefferson County Courthouse, 100 S. 10th Street, Mt. Vernon, IL 62864.
(8) Dates of death, places of death, burial information for Mary Jane (CARR) POWELL and George W. & Sarah E. (CARR) VAUGHN contributed by Altha ALDER.
Submitted by Lola