George T. White, of Elder & White, attorneys, located in the White Building at the corner of Seventh and Walnut Streets, was born in North Carolina in December, 1849, and is a son of Col. J. F. White. A brief sketch of the father here would not be inappropriate: He was a native of Hawkins County, this State, but removed to Hamilton County in 1850, and a few years prior to the commencement of the war was judge of the county court. He raised a company of cavalry for the Confederate service, of which he was afterward made lieutenant-colonel; was taken prisoner near Knoxville; was paroled, but before being exchanged went to Florida where he continued, after being paroled, in the employ of the Confederacy. His wife, formerly Miss Martha Faw, a native of North Carolina, died June 3, 1865. Col. White is now living at Live Oak, Fla., practicing law, and has held the position of criminal court judge. George T. White, the immediate subject of this sketch, although a native of North Carolina, was raised until fourteen years of age in this county, then went with his parents to the Peninsula State where he made his home until twenty-four years of age. In 1870 he entered Emory and Henry College, Virginia, and in 1872 graduated at the law school at Lebanon, Tenn. In 1873 he located in Chattanooga for the practice of his profession, at which he has been a decided success. May 23, 1884, the present firm of Elder & White was organized, and on the same date he married Miss Annie Henegor, a native of Charleston, Tenn., by whom he is the father of one son. Mr. White is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887