Xenophon Wheeler, senior member of the law firm of Wheeler & Marshall, is a native of Licking County, Ohio, where he grew to man's estate. After securing the common-school education conferred upon all who attended the district schools, he entered Yale College, which graduated him in 1860, and at the commencement of the war he enlisted in the Sixty-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He was mustered out at Cleveland, Ohio, with the rank of captain in the One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Ohio Volunteers. While on a leave of absence in 1863, two very important events occurred in the life of Mr. Wheeler-his marriage with Miss A. E. Knowlton, a native of the Buckeye State, and his admittance to the bar at Newark, Ohio. When the war ended, in 1865, he came to Chattanooga, and associated himself in the practice of his profession as a member of the firm of Stanley, Henderson & Wheeler. In 1867 the firm name changed to Stanley, Wheeler & Marshall, which was dissolved in 1869, Mr. Wheeler practicing alone one year. In 1871 the present firm of Wheeler & Marshall was organized, and their long practice at the bar of Hamilton County has placed the firm among the first of the State. The parents of Mr. Wheeler, Salmon and Gillin (Chipman) Wheeler, were natives of Vermont, and their respective deaths occurred in 1874 and 1868.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887