Zachary T. Watkins


    Zachary T. Watkins, an enterprising merchant of Ooltewah, was born in Hamilton (now James) County, February 8, 1847. He is next to the eldest of six children, born to Finley P. and Tressie M.(Kelso) Watkins. The father was born in North Carolina about 1810. He was married in Monroe County about 1840, and a few years later moved to Hamilton County. He was an active member of the Missionary Baptist Church, and a Whig. By occupation he was a farmer and merchant. He established the first store in Ooltewah, and was the first depot agent. He held that position at the time of his death in 1861. The mother was born in Monroe County in 1812, and is now a resident of James County . She is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Our subject's education was required principally at the high school at Cleveland , and at the Jefferson College , Blount County . He was engaged in farming several years. In 1867, in partnership with G. B. F. Guthrie, he established a store of general merchandise at Ooltewah. In 1871 he bought his partner's interest. He has a first class stock of goods, and receives a liberal patronage. He owns considerable valuable property near and in the town. He is a true Democrat and popular citizen, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Mr. Watkins was appointed postmaster on the 23d of September,1885, and is still officiating in that position.

“Goodspeed’s History of East Tennessee,” James County , 1887.