Ambrose Wagner



Ambrose Wagner was born in Baltimore , Md. , October 2, 1856 , and is the son of John M. and Mary A. (Kirshuer) Wagner, both of whom were natives of Bavaria . Our subject was reared and received a fair education in the city of Baltimore , where he also learned the pattern and model making trade. At the age of twenty-one, he left his native State, came to Tennessee , and located in Chattanooga where be worked at his trade one year. In June, 1878, he established his present foundry machine shops (a sketch of which appears elsewhere in this work). The January previous, of the same year, he was united in marriage to Miss Annie M. Zinkand, of Baltimore , Md. , and to them one daughter, Agnes (deceased) was born. Mr. Wagner is a Democrat, a member of the Catholic Knights of America and of the Catholic Church, and is one of the enterprising and reliable business men and manufacturers of Chattanooga .

Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887

 

AMBROSE WAGNER, Esq.- One of the leading manufacturers of Chattanooga is Mr. Ambrose Wagner, who claims this city as his home by adoption. He is a native of Baltimore, Maryland, and was educated in the schools of that beautiful city by the sea. After leaving school he learned the trade of plasterer and moulder, and came to Chattanooga in 1877 and worked as journeyman for one year. In the following year he established a small foundry and machine-shop on Market street, and manufactured brass goods, and also did a general custom work. For a number of years he did a large amount of work for the Cincinnati Southern Railroad, and at the present time he does work for the Southern trade in Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi and other States, and his house now has a widespread and enviable reputation. He has always taken an active inter­est in the progress of the city, and is a member of the Chamber of Com­merce, and is fully abreast of all the enterprises of the place. He came to Chattanooga in 1877 without means, and by industry, enterprise and good management, has estab­lished a large business, and at the present time employs a force of thirty­-five skilled laborers.
East Tennessee Historical and Biographical, A. D. Smith & Co., Chattanooga, TN, 1893; Page343