John Troutt & William Coxon


      Troutt & Coxon (firm), dealers in marble furniture slabs, and manufacturers of monuments and general cemetery work, was established in September, 1885. They employ two traveling salesmen and seventy-five work hands, and have a flourishing business. They use both foreign and domestic marble and granite. John Troutt was born in the Keystone State in 1843 and grew to manhood there. He followed masonry and stone cutting until 1868, after which be followed the same trade in Montana, Utah, Arkansas and Texas, until he came to Chattanooga in 1878. He was then a member of the firm of Renwick & Troutt, masonry contractors, and remained such until the death of his partner in January, 1885. He then continued alone until the present firm was formed. His parents, Daniel and Mary (Loudmilish) Troutt, were natives of Pennsylvania, where they died in 1851 and 1854 respectively. Our subject, John Troutt, is a member of the K. of H., and a genial, pleasant citizen. William Coxon is a native of Montreal , Canada, born in 1849, and came to Now York in infancy where he was reared and educated. In 1873 he moved to South Carolina, where he remained one year, then went to Washington, D. C., and from there to Chattanooga in 1875. He has always followed the stone cutters' trade. In 1878 he married Miss Jennie Morgan, a native of Illinois. Mr. Coxon is a member of the Masonic fraternity and an excellent business man. His parents, James and Susan ( Watts ) Coxon, are natives of England. They came to Canada in childhood, were married there, and in 1849 moved to New York, where they still reside.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887; Page 1004.