D. (Daniel) C. Trewhitt, judge of the circuit court, is a native of Morgan
County, Tenn., born in 1823. In the year 1836 he moved to
, where he was reared and educated. He was
admitted to the bar in that city in 1848, and four years later be moved to
Harrison, Hamilton Co. (now in
He was a member of the Legislature in 1859 and
1860, and was elected to the Senate in 1861 but resigned; went to
and enlisted in the First Tennessee Infantry,
where, at the time of his resignation, in March, 1862, be occupied a prominent
position in the army. From the above date until the close of the war he was
chancellor of this district, and then practiced law until elected to his present
position in the year 1878.
July 4, 1865
, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary M.
Hunter, a native of
. This union resulted in the birth of four
children. Levi and Harriet (Lavender) Trewhitt, the parents of our subject were
, where they died in the years 1862 and 1855
Census, 1st Ward,
; Page 124A
"History of East Tennessee" 1887; Page 1001.