H. E. Stoops & J. N. Brown


       Stoops & Brown, proprietors of the popular Natural Bridge Hotel on Lookout Mountain , took charge of the same in 1885. The grounds belonging to the hotel comprise fourteen acres on which is the Natural Bridge , Telephone Rock and numerous other attractions. There are also several fine springs of both free-stone and chalybeate water. The association of spiritualists purchased the property in 1881 for $7,000. The hotel as it is now improved and arranged contains forty-five rooms. H. E. Stoops is a native of Hamilton County , Ohio , came to Chattanooga in 1871, and was connected with the Florentine Hotel from 1876 until he became interested in the management of the Natural Bridge Hotel. He was also treasurer of the Chattanooga Opera House Company, from 1879 to 1886, and during the latter year was postmaster of Lookout postoffice. His parents, A. J. and Nannie A. (Cox) Stoops, are natives of Pennsylvania and Franklin County, Ind., they are now residing in Chattanooga , the father following the occupation of a contractor. J. N. Brown is a native of Washington County , Tenn. , where he was reared and educated. He came to Chattanooga in 1878, and was also connected with the Florentine Hotel until he and Mr. Stoops took charge of their present hotel. In 1885 he married Miss Nettie Stoops a native of Covington, Ky. James F. Brown, father of J. N., was born in Washington County, Tenn., and died in the same county in 1863. Margaret ( Harvey ) Brown, the mother, is also a native of Washington County , Tenn. , of Irish descent, and now resides in Jonesboro , Tenn.

Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887; Page 999.