Arthur G. Stivers


     Arthur G. Stivers, of the firm of Loomis, Hart & Co., was born in Meigs County, Ohio, September 23, 1855, and is the son of Washington and Caroline (Fisher) Stivers, natives respectively of New York and Ohio. Our subject was reared to manhood in his native county, and received his education in the schools of his native State. He came South in 1878, and located at Chattanooga, where he has been connected with the firm of Loomis, Hart & Co. ever since. He has charge of the office at 115 and 117 West Eighth Street, also has charge of the sash, door and blind departments at the above numbers. May 8, 1883, he was united in marriage to Miss Fannie Pickens, of Racine, Ohio, who bore him one son. Mr. Stivers is a Republican in politics, a Knight Templar, and a Mason, being High Priest of Hamilton Chapter of this city. The firm of Loomis, Hart & Co. is individually composed of J. F. Loomis, John A. Hart, James T. Arnold, F. L. Winchester, A. J. Gohagan and A. G. Stivers. The business was established in 1866 by J. F. Loomis and F. J. Bennett who conducted the saw mill and lumber business at the foot of Pine and Cedar Streets until 1875. John A. Hart succeeded Mr. Bennett. The firm of Loomis & Hart inaugurated the manufacture of furniture, which they continued until 1884, when the present company became proprietors. The mill and works cover sixteen acres of ground on the bank of the Tennessee River, and at the foot of Pine and Cedar Streets. In 1887 they erected a large, three-story frame warehouse at the corner of Pine and Water Streets. The dimensions of this building are 60x180 feet. The up-town office and large sash, door and blind warehouse is situated at 115 and 117 West Eighth Street. They employ on an average 150 men, and the business will approximate $200,000 per year. They saw and handle about 12,000,000 feet of lumber per year.
Goodspeed's "History of Tennessee" 1887.