C. C. Shelton
C. C. Shelton, manufacturer of flour and meal, and dealer in grain and feed, is a native of Jackson County, Ala., where he was reared and educated. He resided in that locality until 1871, when he came to Chattanooga and embarked in the grocery trade, at which he continued until 1876, when he built and began the operation of his present mills, situated at 136, 138 and 140 Market Street. He is doing a large business, manufacturing about 150 barrels of flour per day, and for this he finds a ready wholesale market in Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia principally. Mr. Shelton is a member of the board of trade of Chattanooga, and is one of the city's most respected and enterprising citizens. In 1866 he united in marriage with Miss Mary J. Baker, a native of the same county as himself, and to their union two sons and one daughter (deceased) have been born: George M. and Clement Lee. The parents of the subject of this sketch, Shepherd and Rose (Chapman) Shelton, were natives of the Old Dominion; were reared in North Carolina, from where they removed to Middle Tennessee, thence to Jackson County, Ala., where they followed farming until their respective deaths in 1875 and 1885.
"History of Tennessee" 1887 ; Page 992-3.
; Page 992-3.